1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost Rider Almost Wins at Putnam

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by krypton7, Aug 11, 2003.

1. krypton7

krypton7 Well-Known Member

Evilhordewannabe Todd Taylor was involved in some fierce action for 1st overall in the Putnam Formula 500 race. Todd and Stuart Carter (me) were battling for position with several lead changes occuring during the race. Todd made a strong outside move in Dead Bear Turn to take the lead. As I closely followed his rear wheel into the last turn on the last lap looking for a final drive past him at the finish line, Todd pushed his front end in an overly strong effort, he ran into the gravel trap and was heading for the imminently close Armco when he bailed off the bike. His bike proceeded to ride upright on its own, parallel to the track and right along side me. I managed to cross the finish line 1st, but some questions linger.....There is speculation that his bike did actually cross the line........Sould Todd have scored points? What if he slid across the line and his bike stopped short ? Does he still score?

On another note, I owe Todd an official public apology for bashing his comments during the debate about the pending AHRMA/ WERA Jenning event. Seems Todd had recieved information that I thought was false and I gave him both barrels .........Sorry Todd

Stu Carter #76

2. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

great race stu. that norton is really fast. i wished i could have seen it, just couldnt keep you guys in sight on the taco.
    i think two wins in one weekend would have been way too much for the evilwhore anyway(if the manx did power by)!:)
    maybe if you hang around for awhile the 500gp class will jump start and turnout riders again. i know BSA83 has been a little lonely this year.

3. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

just my opinion

I've never found this spelled out in the rule book, but I think the bike AND rider constitute an entry, and both must cross the line for a finish to be scored. For example, if the bike dies 100 feet short of the finish, the rider may push it across and finish. He cannot abandon the bike and run across by himself.

4. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

i cant imagine some vintage riders being able to run 100 feet without passing out! especially those V6 and V7 guys.:)

5. YAM#849

Stand 100 feet away and yell "free beer" and you will see which ones can run. :D

6. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

I think the rulebook says that rider has to be on the bike and that the bike must cross the finishline under its own power and cannot be pushed, pulled, or coast across

7. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Scott, don't you know the V6, V7 riders are highly conditioned athletes, don't let the fairing mounted ashtray and beer holders fool you. Besides if our bikes quit running we usually have enough speed to coast around the race track, thus eliminating the need to push. If you don't think we train hard try and hang with Brien Nelson and I on our strict training regiment. (Bring your own carton of Cigs and at least 1 case of Beer):beer:
    hey are you going to start building a V6 medium weight bike or do you plan to bump up and ride the RZ. See you at Talladega,
    Eboz

8. evilhordewannabe

evilhordewannabe Well-Known Member

Lap Times?....Pictures?

Stu, thanks for the apology. I was more than ok with the situation after we talked at the track, but that was a pretty cool thing to do. It was nice to meet you. Thanks for the great racing too. Those two races were the most fun I have had since I started.....well right up to the point where I crashed/bailed off the bike. Too bad Dick Gruhen's motor was off a bit, or he would have been right there with us.

I guess everyone can tell this was my first race win....:beer:......Stu, I know your son was there, did he get any lap times for you during either race? If you have some lap times, and you'd rather send them in a pm, please do. Also, was anyone taking pictures at Putnam for this round? I'd like to buy some if anyone was there.....Thanks

Oh..and thanks to Bill Moeller, and Bore Tech for sponsoring the series, the nice trophies, and for helping make my bike so fast.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2003
  9. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Re: Lap Times?....Pictures?

Tod heard of your exploits second hand, sort of wish I had been there to try and run with you guys, GLAD (and thankful) to also hear that you were ok!

10. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

Stu,will you make the GNF this year?Im wanting to run the 500 somewhere this fall. TIM

11. krypton7

krypton7 Well-Known Member

Tim,
    My plans are to run at the GNFs. I could use an expert like you to show me around. So bring that 500 on and lets play around. I think if I lose another 20 pounds and drink a bottle of 'wup-ass' that I might be able to hang with you
    Stu

12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

My suggestion for Stuart and Tim for the GNF:
    Tim - I've a matched set of Dunlop 124's scrubbed and ready for the Triumph. Tires, mounted and balanced, by me especially for you immediately prior to the race - no practice necessary, you know them well. It will be my honor and pleasure to so accomodate you.
    Stuart - your situation is a wee bit more perplexing as I've no experience with you or your bike, so proposing the proper combination to give you the appropriate "competitive edge" is difficult. I suspect that providing you with a special Amal carb, set up just for Road Atlanta in late October, which being less than 50 miles from the track I am uniquely qualified to do, may be just the ticket. I'm thinking something in the 28 - 30 mm range might just be right for your Norton. It is difficult to properly estimate exactly how to performance index such a machine to approximate a push rod BSA single carrying the human air dam. However, there is plenty of time between now and then, and I will strive mightly to achieve that engineering goal.
    Just let me know which classes you guys will enter well inadvance of pre-entry deadlines so I can save my entry fees. Cheers.

13. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Great racing!

Stuart & Todd's races were alot of fun to watch, the getoff was odd looking to say the least, I was watching from the start tower area, both bike & rider disappeared from view together in what looked like was going to be a very bad deal with the last turns wall and the next thing you knew here comes the bike sans the rider!!

I'd had the best seat in the house to watch Tommy D & Jeff James have a great battle until Tommy lost the front in the fast lefthander in F 2-stroke

Grattan's next & CCW to boot !!:cool:

14. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Ghost Rider Almost Wins at Putnam

Stu, congratulations on picking up a couple of trophies. Are you going to make it back to Putnam for the AHRMA race? I'll be there on the little Bridgestone trying my best to firm up last place in 200GP races. Roger will be there with his Kawasakis for everyone's entertainment. :)

15. YAM#849

Karl,
    It'll be great that the Bridgestone will be back in the fray. My last email conversation with Jim was in regards to making the little two strokes kick some four stroke butt. More power to you, and all of the Swartout family.
    sincerely,

16. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

David, as for that dunlop 124 you can keep them for a good rainy day and maybe you won't notice how much it moves around.But if you dare use them your a real man.Get a couple 124-a and you will like them.The rest of the dunlop line seems to be very good tires.TIM

17. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I agree with Tim, I tryed a 124 last year, it slides everywhere but you can feel it coming so it was kind of fun but it cost you time, also, the sidewall failed on mine which holed the tube and made for an interesting save to say the least.