1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting WERA License

Discussion in 'General' started by jay43, Mar 23, 2007.

1. jay43

jay43 Member

I am looking for some information as far as getting a WERA license. I have been looking on the website for how to sign up for the license and haven't found anything as far as when you need to sign up in reference to an event. Can you sign up for it at the event? I tried calling the offices and didn't get a response till yesterday, basically a message saying that they would be out of the office till tuesday for the races. I tried looking through the rulebook, but didn't see any information that answers my question (not saying it isn't there, I just didn't see any), I tried to pull up the membership form to see if there was any info on that, but just got a blank page pop up. I would like to try to race this weekend, but haven't gotten any information whether I can or not. Does anyone have any definate information on this? I would hate to load up all my race stuff, drive all the up to the track, just to find out I can't race. Thanks in advance for anyone who has any information on this they could share with me.

2. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

If you've never had a race license, you will have to attend a race school - WERA accepts certificates from a number of schools. If you have a license, WERA will probably recognize it (depending on the organization) and you just have to fill out the form and pay the fee.

The membership form is here.

You can sign up at your first race weekend.

Welcome! :beer:

3. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

More Info

CHAPTER SEVEN
    RIDER and CREW REQUIREMENTS

All competing riders must meet the following requirements.

1. All participants and spectators acknowledge that racing is dangerous and accept the inherent risks, including serious injury or death.

2. Have a current, valid WERA Competition License or other racing license designated as valid at a particular race. Only WERA Licensed riders will earn points toward an invitation to the Grand National Final. WERA will allow racers with the following current licenses to participate in two WERA events before said racer is required to purchase a WERA membership: CMRA, RACE, WMRRA, OMRRA, CRA, USCRA and AHMRA. Riders who participate in WERA events with another race organization’s license ARE NOT EARNING WERA POINTS. Points are only awarded to racers with a current WERA License. Contingency awards are only available to racers with a current WERA license. Endurance team riders must all have valid WERA licenses.

<YADA, YADA, YADA>

12. WERA licensing requirements:
    a) Resume: A resume or display of another organization’s current roadracing competition license may be accepted as proof of ability, and the new licensee may participate in that weekend’s events.
    b) Successfully completing a WERA approved rider’s school. WERA recognizes the following motorcycle ROADRACING schools as the requirement for obtaining a Provisional Novice License: WERA New Riders’ School, Jason Pridmores STAR School, Fast Track Riders school, Ed Bargy’s Rider School, Kevin Schwantz Suzuki School, Corner Speed, Team Chicago School, F.A.S.T. (Canadian), CLASS, Team Hammer Advanced Riders’ School, Track Riders, MARRC, Freddie Spencer, Viking Race School, California Superbike (must take the classroom part of WERA’s school), RPM Track School, Ty Howards Racing School 35, Sportbike Track Time Pro School., Champion Sportbike Club, & Penguin School. The length of time between taking the riders’ school and racing must not exceed twelve (12) months. If the school you have taken is not listed call the WERA office to see if it has been approved since the printing of the rulebook or if it meets WERA requirments.
    c) Any former WERA Novice racer, who has not been in active competition for a period of two years, will be reinstated with Novice status and it is recommended that they attend a WERA New Riders’ School; if more than three years the school is required. A racer who became inactive while an Expert and wishes to renew at an Expert Status after 2 years may be required to have an evaluation at their first event.

13. All Provisional Novice Riders must wear a contrasting colored shirt over their leather for at least two consecutive weekends. Upon graduation from Rider’s School, the rider must complete two separate weekend’s events before qualifying for a Novice Status License. Under a Provisional Novice License, a rider may race Sportsman events but not a National Challenge Series event (which includes a National Endurance Series event). The Ed Bargy Racing School counts as one weekend for Provisional Novice riders.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What they said, you need to take a school. We have them and you can just show up 7am Saturday for registration and we'll point you in the right direction. All you really need is your gear per the rules, your bike safety wired and that's it.

5. Brian811

Brian811 ....

side notes - When class starts:
    1) show up in leathers with all gear and bike
    2) do NOT go to regular tech

You'll have class in the morning with a couple track rides. Then a 4 lap mock race to complete the course. Then you can enter races on Sunday...

Check out the yearly schedule. Any regional event with a (rs) at the end is hosting a rider school that weekend.
    http://www.wera.com/pages/yearlyschedule.htm

6. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

In regards to the WERA rider school (rs).......

Is this different than a race school like Ed Bargy's or can this be taken to get a WERA liscense? There doesn't seem to be much info on here about it.

7. SteelRain

SteelRain Well-Known Member

Is there a way to sign up for the school in advance? That way one can garentee a slot?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Our school is not as in depth as one like Ed's.

There is no pre entry for the school, there is always room.

9. SteelRain

SteelRain Well-Known Member

Coll, so I just have my bike and gear prepped...and show up. I plan to by a transponder, do i just go to the site and knock it now or should I wait until I get to the track?

10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

So technically one (who has track experiance and all the equipment ready to roll) can show up to your WERA school and get their liscense thru that?

I know the ED Bargy school is much more comprehensive but it's expensive and far away. I'd like to take it some day when time allows for a trip down south but for now i wanna get the WERA liscense and get the 2 provisoinal races done so I can do endurance next year.

Thanks and sorry if i'm jackin the thread.:beer: