1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting tired

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by nobody, Nov 15, 2010.

1. nobody

nobody Well-Known Member

when i am riding my right hand gets numb from opening the throttle and closing it then braking, i am going to get me the quick turn throttle but until it gets here any advice on the hand getting more relaxed?
    no pain in the legs or the left hand ( it does not do much )

2. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

See if you can flap your elbows. You need to keep your whole upper body relaxed and loose. If you can't do the chicken dance, you are too tense. Breath! Do yoga on the bike if you have to.

3. nobody

nobody Well-Known Member

looool some times i do it just to see how tense i am, but all is ok except the the right arm.

4. Lifeon2whls

Lifeon2whls Active Member

It may have to do with the way your controls are set up and/or any buzz through the bars. My buddy and I were both having issues with our hands and the controls on our bikes so we hired a crew chief for the day to work with us and set up the bikes, etc. I thought my brake/clutch levers were set properly but he moved them up and towards me a bit. With my buddy...he was getting numb hands so they moved the bars further out and he was told to reinstall the bar weights along with some compound (I forget what it was).

In short...spending 30 minutes having our controls "tuned" seemed to cure all of the problems we were having with any comfort issues.

5. AFMer118

AFMer118 New Member

Hand numbness while riding

Try to figure out which fingers are actually going numb. If its your index and middle fingers (+/- your thumb or ring finger) it is probably mild carpal tunnel syndrome/median nerve entrapment at the wrist. This typically occurs from either excessive wrist extension or direct pressure over the base of your palm while riding. I suggest positioning your front brake lever so your wrist is in neutral (straight) while holding grip during braking.
    Its unlikely that extending your wrist while applying gas is the primary cause, but you can try holding the throttle closer to the bar end and rotating your wrist to apply gas instead of extending it at the wrist. This will take some getting use to and you will probably have to go back to the middle of the throttle grip to apply brake. Using your inner thigh and legs during braking will keep some of the pressure off your wrists. Sometimes different grips or gloves can help, but if it continues or worsens see a physician, etc.
    PS- Moving your elbow to control throttle position is probably not going to give you adequate throttle control (on anything bigger than a 500 twin) as you try to apply gas past the apex. Hope that helps.

6. nobody

nobody Well-Known Member

thank you all for your help, the thing is the pain is in the 4 arm not the fingers.