1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting into track days and possibly WERA racing

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by William Schneider, May 7, 2021.

1. Tim Dobbertin

Tim Dobbertin Well-Known Member

Not sure why the orgs you're referring to took money knowing the groups were full. That's interesting. Now if it were this case for example; a person made another account and signed up as a novice, knowing they are already an advanced rider with that org under another account, and that's found to be the case - I have a little less sympathy. I still think their money should be refunded or credited. But the decision to not let them ride that day because their actual group is full is the right call imo.

There is risk riding in all groups. I find comments like that interesting "I'm too fast for a group, it'll be too sketchy". Someone should be able to cruise through novice/intermediate traffic with ease and get bumped while following the group rules if that individual is truly an advanced rider imo. It shouldn't take more than a session or two in the morning to do so if you are doing the right things like grabbing a coach, explaining the situation, and getting an on-track evaluation and following group rules. N2 is a little more strict with bumps, that is true from my experience but once you get into the A group you'll understand why they vet their riders more carefully. Lots of fast cats in there. I think a lot of people would echo that as long as they don't have some personal vendetta against the org because they weren't bumped right away. There are people out there like that. *shrug*

2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

So show them your expert license and get put in A group without fuss.

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I'm not that concerned about it. I'd just rather not drive 4-5 hrs to the track, parade around for a session or two, just to get bumped and ride a few more sessions. It's just a waste of time. N2 had an event at the end of the year at Pitt i believe, that i was thinking about making, that's all it was. I haven't been in novice since '94.
    And i realize tire and bike technology has come a long way, but i'm faster now than i ever was. I'd like to give myself a little bit of credit, at 52.:D

Rehh likes this.
  4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Haven't raced since being on the '09 LWT championship team, and Daytona in 2010 for the CCS/ASRA Team Hammer event. Racin' days are over.

But still go to the track 6-10 times a year.

Rehh likes this.
  5. Wheel Bearing

I don't believe CCS or WERA ever contests a long standing expert license...keep it renewed every year, even if you don't race that year, keep the membership active. Worth it for the ability to go straight into advanced group with any track day org.

There's a handful of A group riders at any given track day that shouldn't be in Advanced to begin with, I'd never put someone in A based on their self proclaimed riding ability. If I had a dollar for every guy that said he should be in the next group up, and didn't have the skills, I'd have several V4R's paid in cash. Even if I had to give $100 to every guy that said he was next group worthy material and they actually were.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I wont say which provider(s) but they were at sellouts where the track location access is typically limited. These particular folks bypassed the wait lists in their respective skill groups & took advantage of the vacancies in order to attend the event. Sounds "willful & wanton" on their part.

7. Rehh

Rehh Well-Known Member

Pierre who I mentioned in this thread earlier, races in CSBK. He was at my last 2 trackdays in Jennings, was there for 2 months training. STT made him start out in intermediate and get evaluated before moving up to advanced. I was really surprised by this, he was the fastest guy on the property and with his credentials thought he would be put straight to advanced. He wasn't too happy about it.

BTW.....was at Geoff's house yesterday. Asked him about his lap record I remember him having there from years ago, said he's broken the lap record there 3 times over the years but the current record beat his using qualifying tires, where his were all on standard race tires.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

NEMRR actually has an 'expiration' in the rules now, after 5 years without racing you'll need to go through a school and re-qualify from scratch. A 3 year lapse as an expert will will have to re-qual as an expert via na NEMRR evaluation.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We play it by ear on our stuff. Haven't had anyone go lifetime (10 years no major gaps - at which point it's free) and come back after a long time off track without talking to us about it. An expert who has been running even trackdays won't have issues running expert races.

gapman789 likes this.
  10. William Schneider

William Schneider Well-Known Member

Ok could not get the bike ready for the February Tally weekend. I am planning on Tally in April for my first race weekend. Should I get my race license with STT on that Friday, or is there any benefit to get the race license with WERA instead?

Thanks,
    Will

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Their school will be more in depth on riding, ours is a bit more down and dirty to get you racing. Benefits to both really so it's more a personal choice than anything.

William Schneider likes this.
  12. William Schneider

Thanks Sean. Since the differences don't seem significant, doing the race school on Friday looks to be the best option. I can then race Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks,
    Will

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, it'll be more track time which is good and you'll practice with the normal groups both mornings.

14. William Schneider

All,

First race weekend is coming up. Sean has been great helping me get setup. I was planning on signing up for the lwt ss, lwt sbk, and formula 2 for Saturday and Sunday. Do you think that 3 races per day would be good? Any other advice for my first race weekend?

Thanks,
    Will

15. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

3 per day.. thats a lot but some people definitely do it. When I go to race weekends I do like 1-2 per day haha

16. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Depends on how they're split up. I usually qualify for 4 classes and I pick the three that fit best. Try and have at least one race between them, two is nice.

William Schneider and DmanSlam like this.
  17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Have fun and know your in good hands….

18. William Schneider

There are at least 2 races in-between each race. Maybe just lwt SS and sbk? I definitely don't want to overwhelm myself.

19. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that at all for your first day.

20. Wheel Bearing

2 races is good, I find 3 races a day to be a good balance between rest/prep and having a full day. 4 races is a busy schedule.

Having 2 races between yours is a good spread. Figure each sprint race is 15 minutes, and that clock essentially starts the second you come off track. Figure 2-3 minutes from exiting track to riding to your pit, stands on, warmers on, helmet off. Grab a drink of water and next thing you know, it's first call for the next race. Having another one to break up your races is a good, low pressure pace.