1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting creative, home automation, what have you

Discussion in 'General' started by Marid2apterbilt, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

I'd love to figure out a easy/simple and secure way to automate my sliding glass door without spending hundreds of $$$. Every little bit the idea pops in my head and I do some more research.

I think the best thing I've done was wired up 2 - elk 9200 heavy duty relays to a dual outlet controlled by a aeon labs in wall zwave relay. Probably not the cheapest way but keeps the water heater and well pump on separately controlled circuits. Arm or disarm alarm system and it turns them both on/off. No waisted electricity keeping water hot while your gone all day.
    Bust a pipe and won't flood your entire house. Plus a dozen other good reasons.

Now I think they have WiFi enabled relays to accomplish this easier and cheaper.

Has anyone here come up with other interesting solutions to your home automation wants....

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I met a person 20-something years ago. She cooks food and does the dishes.

It's pretty handy.

cha0s#242, Metalhead, Phl218 and 5 others like this.
  3. Marid2apterbilt

But does she come with a remote. Can you turn down the volume with your phone.

Please do not let her read this. I like living... :)

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

5. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

No automation, no smart TV, robot vacuum, Nest thermostat, etc. Yes, I'm a Dinosaur :D

6. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

My wife’s about to kill me because our automated blinds keep cutting out. When it all works it’s freakkng amazing. I have the Lutron guys coming out again to replace the blinds in our back room this time.

I have everything in my house run to one closet with a big rack system. Controls lights, sonnance speakers in every room, TVs, everything run through Cat5 and 6. I have iPads placed around the house on wall mounts and they get power through cat5.

I stayed away from the control 4/UFC full system because I need it to still be able to work off regular remotes if the URc would go down while I’m on a work trip. I have URC remotes for tv and it’s really nice and easy to use. My mom picked it up and got the tv on in 2 seconds. So far other than the lutron blinds- and it’s literally on 1 set everything has been flawless. No wires or tv boxes in sight, etc.

My outdoor lights and indoor come on at specific times. When you walk in from the garage you can hit a different mode on the iPad inside door and different lights/audio,etc will turn on. It’s really cool.

Honestly the thing my wife thought I was crazy to do was the speakers in the rooms. She uses them non stop.

Senna and Marid2apterbilt like this.
  7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Check the YouTube thread for my automated fire escape door.

Marid2apterbilt likes this.
  8. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

None of my stuff is particularly innovative as you guys are making. I do like the dog door thing!

9. Marid2apterbilt

Genius.. if yard is fenced could make house training the puppy very easy.

10. Marid2apterbilt

I've only done the water I noted above and various lights.

I did add zwave control to the power to my garage door opener. Arm system and it cuts all power, plus the latches it ain't coming open for an outsider.

Typical timed lights upon entry.

I'm slowly adding 1500+ DVD to hdd. One day I'll have free time to do the Plex server entertainment service thing.

I was gonna say that must be costly using iPads throughout the house for control panels. After realizing what it took to do what you described the iPads we're the inexpensive part.

Not a big fan of the blinds but now you got me thinking that may be a good way to enclose and open my 2nd floor porch as I love sitting out there but every car rounding the curve gets a birds eye view. :)

11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I own a home automation integration company. My house is sweet. 1 app (Savant) for everything.

Perks of the job I guess. Haha

beac83 and Marid2apterbilt like this.
  12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

This wont close the door, it only opens and keeps it propped open. Without getting exceedingly complicated, keeping the door normally functional and also able open and close would be very difficult.

13. Marid2apterbilt

That's my issue with trying to create an automated locking system for my sliding glass door. Electronic drop bolts come 2 ways. NO or NC and must be energized for 1 or the other. Makes entry or exit an issue in emergency or security a moot point. The door makers should all conform to a single standard for hardware like regular door locks. Ugh.

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

There is one universal truth in technology. Design a standard and everyone will take it a bastardize it just enough to only work well if you buy all your shit from them.

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

My house was built in the 1870's. Doesn't lend itself to well to automation.

Metalhead likes this.
  16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

You'd be surprised. Retrofitting is a huge part of the business.

17. Marid2apterbilt

Just picked up a Hubitat hub haven't gotten to play with it yet. It's supposed to automate using local network so your not reliant on cloud based apps and internet. Zwave, zigbee, wifi, Bluetooth.

Has anyone run across a good way to automate a sliding glass door lock?
    I can't seem to find one that I like.
    Padiolok.com
    Not a fan of these. The lock and keeper install looks more like a afterthought. Like Locket mechanical locks.

Autoslide with ilock.
    Don't need a door opener
    Cost more than replacing the whole door $7-900

Some digital locks on AliExpress look tempting. Would retain an OEM look for $1-150
    I'd have to drill a few holes and a channel in the mortise of the door.
    Possibly retain the OEM lock install new one above it.

But....
    My Google Foo appearantly sucks trying to find a strike/keeper to match the dual hook locks that match. Ugh.

18. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

How much do I gotta pay for automated mini guns?

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The guns themselves will be about $135K each.

Senna likes this.
  20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

We use Lutron for all of our projects. It's pretty nice.