1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Georgia "Truck" Laws

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by hinshaw929, Aug 21, 2016.

1. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Coming home last night from Tally to Buford (metro Atlanta) I was on I-20 in Douglas county driving my Sprinter van (4 wheels) pulling my 24ft trailer with tandem axles (4 wheels). Driving in the fast lane because traffic was heavy going 65 in a 70 zone. I was pulled over by a Douglas County Sheriff's cruiser and told I was guilty of a "fast lane infraction".

Naturally I replied "say what?" He then informed me under current Georgia traffic law any vehicle or combination of vehicles with more than 6 wheels is considered a "truck". Trucks may not travel in the passing lane as noted in the handout below. My rig had 8 wheels so I was guilty of the infraction. When I asked if this would apply if I was towing my trailer with a car he said yes. I told him I had never heard of this and he let me go without a ticket but I thought I would make all of you aware of this since most of you travel in Georgia and this would apply to a lot of your race rigs.

[​IMG]

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're nuts. No surprise it was Douglasville. I'll need to research it more because considering a car with a trailer to be a truck is beyond ridiculous. Knowing the GA codes there's something that says the opposite, so I want to keep that with me in the RV if I can find it :D

3. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I think most places consider any combination over 6 wheels a "truck." I guess Truck is an easier term than saying "Any vehicle-trailer combination over 6 wheels no left lane" At least that's how i've always considered it using "my" common sense.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Then what about all of the other rules for trucks? DO we all have to go through weight stations too?

BTW - the answer to that is no, the DOT will get pissed if you do :D

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow, getting more like commufornia.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah really.

7. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

No, I just understand that "trucks" can't accelerate or fit into spaces like "cars" and spend more time in the far left "passing" lane, therefore, shouldn't be in that lane. I also know that I am not a CMV, therefore I don't need to go through CMT/DOT weigh stations. As you know you can have a private semi and that makes you a truck but doesn't require you follow every other CMV/DOT reg.

8. hinshaw929

I managed a good size fleet of 18 wheelers in my companies in Georgia for 30 years and for most of those years I had a Class 4 or 5 license as well as a CDL. Lawyers always told us the definition of a truck was any vehicle that required a CDL to operate. As Mongo said using this new definition would mean anything over 6 wheels would have to go through weigh stations and be subject to all of the additional laws specific to trucks unless specifically excluded. It would also mean you could be pulled over and inspected at any time by what we always referred to as the "truck police" (suvs with blue lights marked as Georgia Public Safety on the exterior).

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Plenty of cars get over there and go slow but that's not remotely what we're talking about. My RV accelerates just fine as does the pickup towing a trailer, I have never been in the left lane holding up traffic so that's not remotely a consideration for me. I use it as the cars should, for passing others. However both of those scenarios would be considered a truck per the regs Jim posted. And those regs say nothing at all about commercial or not.

The private semi doesn't make you a truck if it's been converted to an RV, it's an RV and no longer a truck - if it's styled like ours or a regular semi looking vehicle, doesn't matter. If it has not been converted then it is still a truck and must follow every truck law including having a cdl, there is no in between.

That's the entire thing in this thread, the signs and laws regarding trucks are usually all about commercial vehicles over 26k pounds (and under of course depending). If a pickup with a trailer that has four wheels is considered a truck as the regulation posted says it does then that pickup and trailer must follow all of the same laws as all other trucks - and all of the signs. There aren't different laws for the left lane and the weight stations - they all apply to all trucks.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I did get pulled over by a state cop on 75 up by Resaca and he pointed something in the laws about rv's in the left lane only when passing so I was good to go. I think he thought I was a truck until he was right behind me and then it was too late :D
    That's another thing - is Douglasville even allowed to enforce DOT regs? Is the left lane a DOT thing or just a regular one like speeding?

This will make for some fun off season research really :D

11. hinshaw929

The actual code reads a little differently than the DOT handout:

ยง 40-6-52. Trucks using multilane highways

(a) As used in this Code section, the term "truck" means any vehicle equipped with more than six wheels, except buses and motorcoaches.

(b) On roads, streets, or highways with three or more lanes allowing for movement in the same direction, it shall be unlawful for any truck to operate in any lanes other than the two most right-hand lanes, except when the truck is preparing for a left turn or as otherwise provided by subsection (d) of this Code section.

(c) On roads, streets, or highways with two lanes allowing for movement in the same direction, it shall be unlawful for any truck to operate in the left-hand lane, except when the truck is actually overtaking and passing another vehicle, preparing for a left turn, or as otherwise provided by subsection (d) of this Code section.

(d) On interstate highways with four or more lanes allowing for movement in the same direction, the Department of Transportation may designate specific lanes that either prohibit or allow trucks. Where truck usage has been so designated and indicated as such by signs erected by the Department of Transportation, it shall be unlawful for any truck to operate in any lanes other than as designated.

It limits the definition of truck to this code section only, excludes RVs and buses, and makes no mention of "combination of vehicles".

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Interesting.... That's the way I've always read it before, thought the handout was new.

13. hinshaw929

That's what happens when the bureaucrats rewrite the law the way they think it should be. :)

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is hilarious, I never looked at who published it until just now :crackup:

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So according to the actual law the Sheriff had no authority to give you a ticket, guess it's good they didn't. Wonder if we should tell them the handout they got lies? :D

16. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Ive been pinched on I-285 in the #2 lane yrs. ago.I was driving dirty 18 wheels,but thought I would get out
    there real quick for some passing.Cost me almost $400 bucks if I remember correctly and a few
    points on the record.
    Never heard of normal truck and trailer people getting that one?
    The scale houses,depending on state will ticket regular trucks with trailers,as well as pick on you just for sport.

Florida particularly will.I have been inside the scale house getting overweight ticket,and listened to the dot cop
    go after regular moving trucks/Ryder type truck for not entering.He was talking out loud daring the driver not to enter,and he
    didn't,so he took off after ..
    Just an excuse for a cop to go fishing on you as a driver.

17. hinshaw929

I'll put a copy of the the actual code in all my vehicles for the next time. :)

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll be doing the same. Wonder how much a copy of the full book is? :D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think FL has signs saying that rentals must go through their weight stations. Also after 9/11 a lot of other states are requiring it too. I know the last time I rented one they told me to pull through the stations in GA if I took it on the interstate and they were open.

DOT cops can definitely get weird with race trailers, especially larger ones that are all stickered up, I know Chris Ulrich got popped not for no CDL but for not having the medical card and keeping logs towing a gooseneck with living quarters because he told them he raced for a living.

20. hinshaw929