1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GEO manual transmission. rebuild or replace?

Discussion in 'General' started by JamesG, Nov 21, 2008.

?

Replace or rebuild?

1. Let your VISA do the work.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. wrench and wrench and wrench and...

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Ever since buying my '90 GEO Tracker its made this shrieking sound when the clutch was out. When I'd bought it I'd hoped it was just the throw out bearing but replacing that didn't help so now I'm convinced that at least the main-shaft bearing in the gearbox are bad. While it still runs and shifts fine, the noise is the annoying thing in an otherwise really cool little "truck".

Trying to decide to buy a remanned transmission or man up and just buy an overhaul kit and tear down the box myself. The cost difference is... significant, but I really don't want the PITA of rebuilding a gear box.

Anyone know of a source for a good refurbbed (NOT just pulled off a wreck and steam cleaned!) transmission that can be had?

2. joe617

joe617 Well-Known Member

Yep, I'd say it is the main shaft bearings. I'd go ahead and replace the transmission. I had the main shaft bearings replaced in my Tracker and 1 year later they started rattling again so I found a wrecked Tracker with 30,000 miles and bought the transmssion, been flawless ever since. You are right about them being neat little vehicles, mine is 4wd with some 26" mudders on it, little bastard will go anywhere.....

3. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Replace it. http://car-part.com/

If the mainshaft bearing is bad chances are everything that rides on that shaft is shot also. By the time you rounded up and paid for all the parts and put it back together my guess is you would be better off with a whole tranny.

4. The Raven

The Raven will wheelie for boobies

just buy a new tracker , i think it would be cheaper lol

5. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Not with the work I've put into it:

[​IMG]

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

ah yes, wheelin Trackers. too bad i never got paid for one of the strut/spring lifts i made.