1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gen 4 zx10 died while running, can't diagnose the issue

Discussion in 'General' started by masshole, Sep 7, 2015.

1. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

My 2012 zx10 died today at the track- ran fine for a few laps, pitted in, shut it off, restarted 30 min later and died on pit out, all off on the dash, can't get any juice at all.
    Checked the battery, all fuses, lost for ideas.
    Bazzaz tc, Woodcraft keyless ignition, Pulse P2 battery, ran perfect and then dead as a door nail. Rechecked all Bazzaz connections including ground.

Any ideas?

2. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Try replacing the battery with a normal one.

3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I'm getting 13.8 on this one.
    Not sure I have any "normal" once in my garage, have a few Pulses P1 and P2.

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Like nothing comes on or just won't start?

When you turn the key on are you getting normal dash?

5. Turn the key and zero lights/display on the dash? If you turn the key and flip the kill switch to on and press the starter button what happens?

6. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

No dash at all, nothing.

7. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

No key, Woodcraft keyless harness. On and off on the red toggle and crank button to fire up. Absolutely nothing

8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Just put the battery on the CV1 charger, fully charged.
    Checked all fuses again, all good.

9. Check voltage coming out of the woodcraft key eliminator when you flip the switch.

10. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Check your voltage against the chassis ground, not the battery lead, to make sure you don't have a ground fault. Off the top of my head, assuming main fuse is good, check the keyless bypass would be the culprit if you have a proper ground. Also check the switch you are using for the ignition bypass, I've had the switch fail.

11. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Voltage checked against the chassis ground, all fuses are good, keyless is good.
    Will check the switch next.

Thanks guys

12. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Not the switch. Could I have blown the ECU? GUHL reflashed on the bike.
    Not sure if these would be the symptoms.

13. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Well no power at all suggest something like a main fusible link. That would kill power to everything. You might want to pull out the voltmeter and start following the positive lead. Check voltage between the battery post and the terminal at the main fuse, then across the posts and follow it down the line. Maybe check the starter relay, but following the wiring diagram may be the only sure diagnosis.

14. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I had a similar issue. KTM 640 Supermoto, would run fine then just turn off, dash off, nothing....Like the battery wasnt even there. Jiggle the wires, play around with it and it would fire back up like nothing happened.

Turned out my main power wire from the battery to the fusebox had an internal break.

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

ECU... Wanna bet??

Had the same thing EXACTLY happen to me. Exactly.

16. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Okay, I'll dig out the unflashed ECU and put it in.

17. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Same deal with the unflashed ECU. I'll keep playing with the voltmeter

18. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Mine's good.

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Have you completely disconnected all bazzaz stuff and tried again?

20. Redrodent1

Redrodent1 Well-Known Member

Just a desperate suggestion. Sometimes a digital meter will be misleading. You can have one tiny strand of wire left and it will show voltage or continuity but not do squat. It will have you off on a wild goose chase. Go old school and touch 12v briefly to the output of the switch. See if the gauges respond.