1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearing Question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Nicky v, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Nicky v

Nicky v Well-Known Member

Right now I have a 16t F, and a 47t R sprocket kit on my GSXR. If I switch to a 15t F, and 44t will there be a power difference? The smaller sprockets will make my back wheel move back, and the gear ratios are the same, but i'm worried I'll lose power. Thanks:up:

2. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I imagine you have a GSXR600...

Stock is 17/47 right?

17/43 = 2.53 Stock
    16/47 = 2.94 Now
    15/44 = 2.93 Prospected

The difference in gearing alone is not significant... You will not lose power...

You will increase chain wear a little...

What is the reason to run this gearing?

Less Anti-Squat force?
    Are you trying to increase wheelbase by an inch?
    Why?

Luis

3. Nicky v

yes, 17-43 is stock. Well the idea is that I should get a little stability out of the bike with the wheel back further. Also I can put a bigger sprocket on the rear for different tracks, should the need arise. My buddy runs that gearing on his GSXR, and he's smarter and faster than me, so I'm just trying to learn.

4. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

do it.....do it

5. Nicky v

I thought you miight find me on here Jabe! But I wasn't talking about you! I was talking about... Um.. Rob Jensen. My good buddy Rob! :beer:

6. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

you're right, he is fast

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Nick, it's more the squat/anti-squat characteristics of the different rear sprockets and the position relative to the swingarm.

FWIW, we've previously been using 16/4X with a 116 length chain versus 15/4X with a 114 length chain on the R6. Same ratios, same wheel bases. One benefit of the smaller sprocket that's been noticeable is smoother corner entry - one example/place you might notice it would be T1 @ Nelson Ledges. Not sure if that helps or not.