1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearing for 600

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Cash Vega, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Cash Vega

Cash Vega New Member

Hi Y'all.

Does your body weight dictate what gearing you use on your bike.?? If so, I am 229 lbs and I ride a CBR 600. I find on my corner exits theres just not enough torque to be explosive, get the bike upright, and get on the throttle. My corner speed is good, rpm's are up, but when I twist the throttle it feels like theres nothing there, and it takes a few beats for it to kick in. I'll pass you in the corner, but you'll pass me on the exit and beginning of a straight away. HELP !!!

Deano

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Most people determine their gearing by the longest straight on the track; aiming to gear the bike so that at the very end of that straight they just touch redline in 6th. When racing it is sometimes smart to go even a tooth or two taller than that so that there is rev room to draft someone (producing a higher speed).

3. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

:stupid::up:

4. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

-1/+2 is the most popular gearing around here and works for most tracks. as far as the lag in throttle response you describe- a full exhaust helps a lot with that if you don't already have one. the combination of full exhaust + gearing helps A LOT to harness the potential speed your bike has locked inside :up:

5. MIceleb

MIceleb Active Member

Im running a -1 +2 on an 06 R6 with full exhaust and a race filter (pc3 of course) it has made a huge difference....I have yet to redline 6th on any straight away.

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

And some people actually gear their bikes so that they won't hit the rev limiter in the longest straight but it gives them a good drive out of the corners OR the shifts will be made in places that makes more sense.

I did that specifically at Road Atlanta to deal with coming out of the chicane before diving the hill into turn 4.

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

You have a superbike, that is what different transmission ratios are for :Poke:

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So for you to change your transmission ratios you just need to unbolt some stuff and pull the entire tranny out.

For me to do that I have to split the cases. :crackup: