1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear Indicator help needed

Discussion in 'Tech' started by captmarc, Mar 29, 2011.

1. captmarc

captmarc #89 07 CBR 600rr

Hey all,

I have an starlane engear gear indicator that my mechanic installed, along with a yoyo slipper and a bazzaz zfi-qs (quick shifter).

The indicator recognizes the upshifts, but doesn't recognize the downshifts unless we go all the way to neutral, then it resets and works going back up.

Any ideas how to remedy this?

2. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

Are you letting the clutch lever out?
    The indicator compares RPM to MPH.
    If you have the clutch lever in, it screws up the math.

3. captmarc

Reply from Starlane

Yes, this is for downshifts, so I have to engage and release the clutch to downshift. Here is what I got from Starlane, although I am not sure I fully agree yet. Good info though for people who want slipper clutches and gear indicators (seemed like a good combo to me, guess not)

Dear Marcus, yes, I understand your needs but, as staed on the user manual, this is ablosutely normal as the Gear inidcator can know the gear by calculating the ratio between engine and wheel and any intervention on the clutch (moreover slippery clutch) will generate infinite ratios not corresponding to the 6 ratios teached.
    Kind regards.

Luca Funiciello
    Starlane Performance Electronics

[me]
    Thank you for getting back to me. So is there a solution to make this work, or is it impossible with a slipper clutch?

Dear Marcus, I’m sorry but no way,as explained on the instructions and on my previous email it can’t get the good data for a ratio calculation with slippery clutch.
    Regards.

Luca Funiciello
    Starlane Performance Electronics

4. captmarc

By the way, on the run up and down the street, LOVING my yoyo slipper clutch!!

5. captmarc

bump for this. Went to the track and it was stuck in 3rd gear (the indicator anyway). Anyone have experience with this indicator? Maybe I'm not programming correctly. Any ideas appreciated, otherwise it is going to the classifieds

6. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

Call me during the week to go over this.