1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GaTech ends 41-game DUke home win streak

Discussion in 'General' started by jp233, Mar 3, 2004.

1. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "member"

so talbott and all those dookie fans out there? you just got dominated:clap: :D ;) :) :beer:

2. Cliff0529

Cliff0529 Well-Known Member

WERD!!!! :beer: Let's go Jackets!

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Yep. Duke lost.

That moves the Jackets up to, what, FOURTH PLACE, in the ACC? :Poke: :Poke: :D

OK, Tech played a very good game. Duke didn't look sharp at all, on offense or defense. Tech deserved the win.:clap:

4. jp233

while they might be in 4th place in the ACC right now, wake plays NC state so one of them has to lose, either way GT has more overall wins and could have a better overall win percentage than NC state. at least GT beat every team in the ACC at least once this season, except for the asspack

5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I don't think I've ever seen Coach K that angry! :eek: Looked like the refs were letting them play a bit and GT was very aggressive on both ends of the court. When GT has their game going they are fun to watch. :clap:

On the flip side, Duke couldn't hit the ocean from the pier last night. It seemed to me that the rough play really got to Reddick. This is typical of this time of year when ACC refs swallow the whistle so Reddick better toughen up. Dougherty (sp?) isn't getting enough respect (or PT) for his style of defense. That shit is awesome to watch! :clap:

6. jp233

yeah in the first half the refs seemed to let a lot of plays go with no whistles.... 2nd half they started to ninny up.

coach K was livid after that one where Schencher clearly hacked a Duke guy going to the basket and the ref was standing right there (sidebar: good no call ref! :D ), which resulted in coac K getting T'd up. but if I were coach K I would have been livid too.

Reddick better toughen up. But hell he hit a bunch of catchpass/bomb3 plays, man Reddick can be lethal but luckily we kept him quiet in the first half. GT did play very well I was impressed even by the play of Tarver who is one guy I've always thought sucked azz. big Luke had a good game but damn is he goofy. he needs to stop hesitating and TAKE IT TO THE RACK STRONG!! dude needs some meat on his bones... not more hair on his head :p

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I kept thinking last night that he was moving in slow motion. When the commentators slowed down one play where Luke made a spin move (about as fast as a supertanker) and lunged at the basket -- it looked like time-lapse photography. But then again, one of the GT gaurds used his slow ass for an inside screen in a heckuva play so I guess its not all bad.

8. jp233

he is in slow motion!!! by replay in slo-mo he looks like he is a 3-toed sloth on Special K stuck in molasses in january!

he has this instinct that when he gets the ball near the basket he goes DOWN first with it, either to his waist or to dribble. being 7'1" tall youd think he'd realize he can just jump for all he's worth (which aint much) and dunk the freakin thing. If he got his act together he could really be a force. he does have a nice hook shot though, and is a good free throw shooter. but ugh, I can think of a dozen centers i'd rather have than him still.

9. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

next up...Dookies get beat by the Heels at Duke. Two losses in a row for the Dookies!!!!

10. dtalbott

Ever the dreamer.....

Duke better not lose two home games in a row.

11. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

yeah, they will. they peaked too early in the season. Combine that with a second round ACC tourney loss and not make it to the sweet sixteen.

12. dtalbott

Possible.

They haven't played their best in the last 4 games.

Plus, with State's loss to Maryland, the UNC game won't change the standings.

Of course, Coach K could kick them all in the butt and blow out UNC by 30 :D .

13. TrentThomas

TrentThomas .........

Actually...

The Duke / UNC game, as well as ALL remaining games, have impact on the league standings and tournament seeding. Here's some background snipped from a Wake Forest forum:

Duke is the 1 seed at 12-3.

State is 10-5, Wake is 9-6. Wake must beat State to tie for 2nd.

If Wake and State tie, the tiebreaker is very convoluted.

Lots of possibilities, but the ONLY ways Wake can win the tiebreaker are:

- UNC win over Duke and GT loss to FSU.

- UNC win over Duke, GT win over FSU, AND Maryland win over UVa.

Otherwise State wins the 2 seed.

If State beats Wake and UNC beats Duke, UNC gets the 3 seed via their sweep of State. If State beats Wake and GT beats FSU, Wake and GT come down to a coin flip for the higher seed.

A tie by FSU and Maryland would give the tiebreaker to Maryland if State beats Wake. If Wake beats State, the tiebreaker would move to GT and FSU would win the tiebreaker.

A tie by FSU and Virginia at 7-9 would give the tiebreaker to FSU (sweep of GT.) A tie at 6-10 would give the tiebreaker to FSU via a win over Maryland.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CallowayDeac
    6th Man

Re: Tiebreakers through 15 games
    Posted: 3/3/04 11:30:01 pm
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2 2 2

Snidley Whiplash
    6th Man
    Posted: 3/3/04 11:31:29 pm
    So ... in other words ... we really, really, really, really, really need to beat State!

undeacon
    Liquid Refreshment Engineer
    Posted: 3/3/04 11:34:10 pm
    Hmmm, Raycom seemed to think if we win we get the 2nd seed. Obvously they haven't done their research.

OldGoldBeard
    Starter

Posted: 3/3/04 11:34:13 pm
    That made my head hurt.

tullfan
    Starter
    Posted: 3/3/04 11:34:37 pm
    The bottom line is that we really need to beat State. We have no excuses where we're seeded if we don't win that game

doctorlcc
    Starter
    Posted: 3/3/04 11:36:38 pm
    Whether we are 2 or 3 is not as important as whether we are 3 or 4. Win Sat and we're in the bracket we need. Lose and we just beat Duke on the 3rd day instead of in the championship game.

Southern Deac
    Liquid Refreshment Engineer
    Posted: 3/3/04 11:37:58 pm
    Chrispy check to see if I'm right, but I've given each scenario a shot so we could see who would play who under all possibilities...

Duke, Wake, GT, MD win
    2. NCS 10-6 (by GT sweep)
    3. WF 10-6
    4. GT 9-7
    5. NC 8-8
    6. MD 7-9
    7. FSU 6-10 (by 1-1 vs. MD)
    8. VA 6-10

Duke, Wake, GT, VA win
    2. NCS 10-6 (by GT sweep)
    3. WF 10-6
    4. GT 9-7