1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas tank paint, what to use, what not to use...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by The Todd, Mar 26, 2024.

1. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

Hey all, I'm painting my track bike fairings.

They are Armour bodies fairings.

I wanted a blue and white similar to Suzuki Blue and white. It's a K6 1000.

I've painted the fairings with this type of paint, using blue and white.

[​IMG]

You can see the blue painters tape on the upper fairing and the tail section.

[​IMG]

I will eventually paint my gas tank to match either blue or white or a 2 tone. I'm concerned that this paint won't be resistant to gasoline.
    Any motorcycles paint can and does resist gas spillage no problem.

I've read a lot of net stuff, etc.

So I bought this for the clear coat of the fairings

[​IMG]

For those that have done and know, what type of rattle can can I use on the gas tank and not worry abou0t a little gas spillage?
    TIA

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Theres a reasonable chance the color coat will bubble and flake when you put the clear on top. This risk is reduced if you let the paint cure a lot, for weeks not days.

Theres a reasonable chance that clear will melt from gasoline. If you let it cure long enough before spilling gas, it wont melt immediately. But it'll probably start to develop spots where you splashed and didnt see to wipe it off.

Spraymax 2K clear cans hold up to gasoline very well. But they may bubble Rustoleum colors that aren't cured for a long time.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
    The Todd likes this.
  3. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

Thanks,
    Case in point- my Stock OEM K5 Suzuki Liter can get gas on the outside of the gas tank, and/or the body work and it's not going to deform, dissolve anything.

When I pain my gas tank, I'd like to use a aerosol spray can like that.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

You can use automotive paint, just tell them to put it in aerosol can.

The Todd likes this.
  5. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

You really need a 2K clear for good gasoline resistance. 2K means it's a 2-part product, the clear and the catalyzer. 2K cans are available. They have 2 reservoirs of product and a button that you push before use to puncture something inside. Then the 2-parts mix together and you get like 12hrs to use the can.

Spraymax 2K clear is the go-to option for this. The internet also likes Eastwood 2K clear but i think it's more expensive.

Killswitch and The Todd like this.
  7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

2k clear.is the only thing that will hold up to gas. You can put it over the rattle can just go light on the coats.
    And use a respirator 2k clear will absolutely destroy your lungs

The Todd likes this.
  8. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

Thanks Beeb! This my go to site for many things, and this is even motorcycle related!

I think I'll not try the clear I bought ast all and just get some cans of 2K clear!

Here's the tail section I took the tape off of today. I was going for the look similar to my K5 Literbike I have for street.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lopitt85 likes this.
  9. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

I just got some Spraymas 2K- 2 cans of it from Amazon for just under $40 for both! Shoud be here in about 5 days.
    I've been reading some of it's reviews, and how hard it can be sometimes to get it right the first time.

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Make sure it's nice outside and shake it way more than a normal rattle can and you'll be fine. Look up some tips on YouTube

11. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Use the SprayMax 2k clear. It's awesome. Dries to a nice deep gloss and is resistant to to gas and brake fluid, etc...

It'll go over rustoleum just fine. I typically let the rustoleum cure for a few days before I put the SprayMax over it to make sure the base color is fully cured.

Biggest mistake most people make is trying to go too heavy on the first coat (chasing full coverage) which causes runs. First is light, second fills it in well, third is a little heavier and gives a nice deep gloss. Often times the 2nd coat is my last and provides a nice deep gloss.

Keep your coats in the right time window too for better results. I painted this in my garage and outside. Basic spraypaint with some SprayMax clear over it.

Screenshot_20201021-195748_Gallery.jpg

Banditracer likes this.