1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gas Tank Gastroenteritis

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Chango, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Chango

Chango Something clever!

So my 2006 GSX-R750 ended up sitting in storage for about 2 years. A couple of months ago we bought a house so it made it into the garage to sit. I now have a track (Hallett) less than an hour from home, so I decided to get it running. I replaced the battery the other day and in a bout of optimism tried to start it.

When I turned the key it apparently blew the fuse for the fuel pump immediately. I stuck the spare fuse in and it immediately blew again. Just for fun I opened up the gas cap and took a whiff. It didn't even smell like gasoline anymore. So the tank needs to be drained and cleaned. While I was cussing I went ahead and ordered a replacement fuel pump and a set of main fuel injectors.

The real question is: how much more do I likely need to replace vs what might be cleanable? Obviously diagnosing something like this over the internet is speculative at best, but some of y'all have far more experience with resurrecting clapped out old bikes than I do. I have enough tools to break stuff, but no spiffy sonic cleaners or anything fancy like that.

On a side note, I think the worst part is the tires. Supercorsa SP V2s with less than 100 miles on them that are old enough that I should probably replace them before trying to get this bike on track in the next couple of months. Damnit.

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Drain the tank, install the new fuel pump and see if it fires. If that doesn't do it then do the injectors. My TL has been sitting for 3 odd years (with gas in the tank and the fuel rail) and only the pump was the issue.

3. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Well that's promising. It was my basic plan, and I'm glad it's at least vaguely going in the right direction.

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Lucas oil fuel cleaner on the new stuff and either get high octane non ethanol gas from a nearby boat dock etc. Or local fuel company.

5. Clean fuel tank with carb cleaner, acetone, etc to get any varnish out, do the same for fuel line.

6. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Got the exact same bike and had the same issue recently other than the blowing fuses. Had to have injectors cleaned and fuel pump rebuilt. Seems to run good now other than hard to start. Takes 3 or 4 tries every time IDK why

7. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

2 years isn't that long for something to sit and have issues like that. Normal pump gas? Did you check if any critters snacked on the wire harness? I'd be tempted to pull the tank off and power the fuel pump direct with a fuse just to make sure the pump is the issue. Is the pump supposed to prime only when the kill switch is on? If yes and you're still blowing a fuse with the switch off, sounds like a short. Rest of the bike power up fine?

The gas isn't the issue. Had a bike that sat for 6 years that started up just fine.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

you were lucky, people have regular issues with gas sitting for month or two a gumming up injectors and carbs

tony 340 and duc995 like this.
  9. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Still doesn't sound right. Winter is longer than a month or two for many places, and i dont see everyone buying fuel pumps every year. Carbs can be drained, or my new favorite method of shutting the gas off and running it dry so you suck the jets clean. 2 months has a chance of clogging the pilots.

Still possible that the pump just happened to crap out. Just don't think it's normal to happen from 2 years of sitting. Maybe water/moisture got in with the fuel and mixed with the ethanol to clog things up.

turbulence likes this.
  10. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

PS: Congrats on having a garage of your own.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I wouldnt take that as gospel. Some folks arent too particular about where they purchase fuel. On another note... try letting MR12 sit in a fuel system for a few weeks and see if that doesn't ruin every thing from the intake ports to the fuel pump.

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

True, but then again some people don't even know to be aware of where they buy gas.
    Two months is probably rare, buy 6 months to a year, has regularly turned gas bad in my experience

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Quick update time:

Welp, the FUEL fuse kept blowing, So I disconnected the fuel pump. When I turned it on the fuse didn't blow, so I went ahead and replaced the pump. After replacing the pump it will finish the pre-start sequence and actually start.

It will only run for a couple of seconds, but it starts, so that's a thing.

When I actually got the gas tank off, the gas inside wasn't nearly as rank-smelling as it seemed when I opened the cap a couple of weeks ago, so maybe it's not as bad off as I thought. I still drained it and put in some fresh gas, but it wasn't the only problem, even if it may have contributed.

14. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Update #2 for the day:

It ran! I put half a gallon of fresh gas in it, but it still didn't want to stay running for long, but once it finally started it kept running. Eventually I could even blip the throttle without it dying. It kept running long enough for me to get it off the stands and ride it around the block.

It is still stripped of all bodywork and pesky legal requirements like lights, so I didn't ride it far, but it has now officially run for the first time in about 2 years.

YoshiHNS, Banditracer and lopitt85 like this.
  15. TommyD

TommyD Well-Known Member

I have drained at least 3 maybe 4 tanks this year full of water and rust at the bottom.One tank is still out being lined inside because the rust was that bad.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Fucking corn gas. If you can do ethanol free in everything that may sit for a while. The ethanol absorbs water and that provides a perfect environment for a bacteria that excretes acetic acid. That acid eats at metal and makes your fuel system look like a coral reef...

17. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Yeah, I don't use corn juice in anything. Even my car that is "designed for it" doesn't get that awful stuff. There's no way in hell I would put that garbage in one of the bikes, even when I ride them more than once every other year.

18. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Think ethanol gas is good if you just cleaned a tank and want to make sure the water is out of it. Run it for a bit and burn or drain it after a month. Cleaned the toms tank out, rinsed it with some isopropyl, put gas in. Month later you could see it gel up from absorbing water. Dump and pure gas after.