1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G1 SV650 S v N swingarms, & 180/55/ vs 180/60 Pirellis

Discussion in 'Tech' started by AMac, Dec 21, 2020.

1. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

SV Guru's

Is anyone running 180/60 Pirellis on their 1st Gen SV's?

Do you have any swingarm clearance issues?

I'm currently running Pirelli 180/55 superbike slicks on my 1st Gen SV. It was an "S" originally so I understand the swingarm is a little shorter than the "N" swingarms, which can lead to clearance/tire warmer clearance issues. I'm a little concerned about future availability of the 180/55 and am thinking about trying out the 180/60's. Is the size difference enough to require re-gearing and or is it worth considering putting an "N" swingarm on to gain a little clearance? Final question, is there an easy way to tell the difference between 1st Gen S & N swingarms?

2. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

Yep. 1GSVS. Switched from Pirelli 180/55 to 180/60 after my buddy did. Had less clearance than him with same gearing and chain length. Could barely get the tire warmer on. Measured both swingarms, found his swingarm was longer than mine. Ended up running same gearing as before to get through the weekend, too tall. Called Zoran to confirm, he found an N swingarm in his stash and sent it to me, all good now. Added 1 tooth to rear sprocket and 2 links to chain. I measured my S arm = 520mm from center of swingarm pivot to front of axle slot. N arm was 530mm

The.Johnner likes this.
  3. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info!

Did you see a noticeable improvement moving to the 180/60?

4. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

Much more edge grip. Up to you to make good use of it. The 55 is only available in SC2, the 60 available in Sc0, 1, 2. I run Sc1 mostly.

5. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

Tire is big and heavy, but no way would I go back to the 55.

6. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

180/60 is the tits. Once you give it a go you will realize why the 180/55 is gone. Tire weighs more but the gsxr rear rim weighs less then the sv rim so it ends up equaling out.

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

This has been covered a few times. A Pirelli 180/55 is 181mm wide on a 5.5 rim, and a 180/60 is 190mm. But the big difference is diameter, as the 180/55 is 641mm diameter where the 180/60 is 656mm. And of course you need a 5.5 wide rim for either 180 and there's a few modifications you have to do the some SVs to get clearance for the bigger tire but I cant' find that thread.

The 180/55 slick is not gone. Because of the OE fitment on the Kramer you can get a 180/55 slick in a SC1 or SC2, and in previous years you could only get a SC2.

Hey Peter Merry Christmas and can you post a link to the thread I'm talking about? THX

And yes the 180/60 slick is the preferred, faster. longer lasting tire! And it comes in SC0, 1, 2, and 3 compounds

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Aftermarket wheel is bolt on. If using gsxr wheel caliper bracket is machined, that is only mod to sv.
    It is only 1st gen sv with short swingarm that has issues with clearance for that tire. Easy fix is longer swingarm from other model. Can also push wheel back or even cut axle holes further back ( I did this on my sv which also let me use any sprocket combo without replacing chain). Caliper arm on 1st gen can also be in the way for tire. Fix is to make one, bend stock one, or use Ducati 749/999 caliper/bracket and get rid of the arm all together.

9. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

On the gen 2 is there a preference between the S and N swingarm? From a handling perspective.
    I have both and not sure if it matters which one I use.