1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR400 Crankcase vent

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 11truckie, Nov 25, 2009.

1. 11truckie

11truckie Member

I have a question regarding the crankcase vent on my '89 FZR 400. The Yamaha diagram refers to this part as Breather Pipe 1. It sticks out of the top of the crankcase about an inch and has a hose attached to it that is connected to the airbox at the other end. My problem is that the pipe has a V-shaped piece missing where it had been broken, so that hooking up a hose with a hose clamp is not a very secure remedy. What I would like to do is replace this Breather Pipe, but I don't want to just try to twist it out and in the process hear fasteners inside the case tinkling into the engine. Unfortunately the Yamaha diagram is not really helpful as far as seeing how this part is fastened. Has anyone successfully removed or replace this part and if so can you tell me how to go about it? I don't want to lose oil without knowing it and possibly oil up the track by having some connection I'm not confident with. Thanks.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the steel pipe that you see is pressed into the case with a foam filter and metal baffle inside the case. That's what I remember inside my 600, anyway. I would assume since they use (effectively) the same cases it to be a common installation.

I don't know if you can replace it (with an OEM replacement), but you might be able to remove it and install another method of venting.