1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZR 400 17" rear option

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by baconologist, Jan 21, 2015.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I did some cursory measuring of my FZR to check out an option.

Can anyone confirm my rough measurements?

Inside L swingarm to inside R 8.75"
    Inside L to center chain .75"
    Inside L to center rotor 7.75"

if this is correct I think I've found another rear wheel option. My CBR 250 is a 17x4 and the measurements I get are;

inside L to inside R 8.75"
    inside L to center chain .75"
    inside L to center rotor 7.25"

So with a caliper bracket or rotor spacer this may be an option. I didn't measure axle diameter and I'm assuming different bearings could be used to change anything there.

I'm so far from an expert on these things. Would one of you who has access to these bikes take a look.

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Also F2 or F3 will fit. F3 is 5". I think Steve at Speedwerks has a kit to bolt them in for you. If not, he can get you headed in the right direction.

4. cf

cf Well-Known Member

I have an F2 rear with cush modified for FZR400, as well as an unmodified F3 rear wheel, never used it though, has just sat on the shelf, if you have an interest shoot me an email: motorsport.studio at geemale.

5. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I wouldnt go with the 4" wide rim. Get the SV or F2/F3 conversion.

SV is a 3 spoke and will closer match the FZR wheel but if it was me I would
    convert both wheels to SV or F3....JMO

Older TZ250 wheels will work too but get your wallet ready....I bought a set of Marvics
    for mine but sold them long ago. My 400 SBK had Technomagnesio rear and a Marchesini front from a Ducati using FZR sized rotors

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The Superhawk cush/carrier doesnt need machining from what another FZR racer told me. I think the vf500 carrier lines up well too,from what i recall,and both work with the F2 rim.When i did my conversions on 2 of my FZR's,i used F2 rims.My FZR/EX hybrid i kept the stock FZR brake setup,and the 400/600 uses the F2 caliper hanger,so with a little patience and thought both ways work for brakes.

7. baconologist

easy button and atheistically pleasing :up:

8. britx303

If you do swap the front as well to have a matched set, the 120 will make the FZR slower on turn in.Its not a huge deal but its definately noticeable.JMHO

9. baconologist

I'd hoped to stay 110/140 with it.
    If I take it to a track day. I figure the extra power should learn me where the edges of my 250 tires really are.

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Bacon...I hope you don't mind me taking this to the tires so to speak. Similar issue here...I'm putting an R6 front and FZR600 rear on my RZ. Front calls for a 120 but I've been told a 110 will work better. Do you all agree with this? Rear was a 18/150 and I was going to stick with that too. Or should I?

11. britx303

R6 front rim or frontend? On a RZ I personally would stick with the 110.

12. britx303

Oh and apparently you can still get great 18" rears that will handle what the RZ is going to put down anyways. I say go for it:up:

13. stickboy274

If you're just looking to make trackdays a little easier,I ave 150/60-18: DOT's for the stock 400 wheel.

I have the BT-090 PRO.

14. baconologist

Its gonna be for fun and occasional track days. HFD said its too nice to trash racing.
    So my head went to using the same tires as my EX250. So when I do take it to a trackday I'll have cheap tires and be comfy with it.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Is the 090 pro better than the 003s?

16. stickboy274

You could get a spare FZR wheel and put one of these tires on it and just swap them when you want to do a trackday.

You could get s 600 wheel/sproket carrier for almost nothing.

17. stickboy274

They don't make an 003 in a 18"

18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

You made me go look at my bike.:D

And.....you're right.:D

By the way, I need a new front. I'll e-mail you or PM you soon with the info.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I checked too and that's exactly what you sold me for my FZR when I was racing it. Just amazing tires!

I'll stick with the same setup for this RZ hybrid. Still about 6 weeks until tire time. I'll be in touch.

20. stickboy274

Great. Thanks