1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZ 600 Racers

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 7470racer, Nov 30, 2010.

1. 7470racer

7470racer Well-Known Member

Anyone out there with some racing knowledge of these heaps? I've done most of the chassis and suspension changes. I'm looking more of the engine/ carburator upgrades, weight reduction variety. I know they were raced at one point in time and would assume someone has done R&D on them. Pass it along, not many of us out there with these anymore. Don't have a lot of $$ into it, so if it is worth it - I'll try.
    :cool:

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Ok, here is what I know and think I know and what I am doing to my FZ this winter. FJ600 cams and carbs. The carbs can be made to fit in the FZ frame with a little grinding, is what I heard. I believe you can run an intake cam for the exhaust.

Ken

3. john westcott

john westcott Well-Known Member

7470racer what have you done to the front end? I am installing new fork seals in mine, so before I go back together tell me what iol brand,weight and amount dfid you use?

Ken, how do you go about lining the cams up, double intake cams? I can put the front cam in, but the rear?

4. kenessex

John,
    I haven't really taken a good look at aligning the cams. If all else fails, I'll use a degree wheel and set the cam lobe centers at 107 degrees.

Ken

5. john westcott

6. 7470racer

Front end is an 91 FZR. I bought the OEM fork seals, always do. Used 10w oil, OE specs. Set the sag and rides 100x better & safer than stock FZ stuff. Brake is pretty touchy with HH pads, believe it or not. Changed wheel bearings, neck bearings (use the 89FZR spec, the neck diameter is the same, the tree stem is not) and front end is solid, for what it is. Don't expect a lot. All this was done for under $150, although I came across the forks/ triple tree/ wheel/ rotors from a donor bike. These should also be relatively available and cheap. You could probably buy a whole parts bike for $200. There you go, my secret (not all of it of course). :up:

7. 7470racer

Also, thanks for the carb/ cam suggestions. Having a bitch of a time finding those FJ/ XJ carbs - without paying an arm & a leg for them. I have a set but one of the carbs is junk - just really looking for one single unit. Scoured the swap meets and e-bay all summer, nothing I can say was a bargain. Keep em' coming though.

8. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

I have absolutely nothing of value to add...But when I moused over this thread and saw that first sentence I laughed out loud, heh, heh...

9. charles

charles The Transporter

Wait...this thread is about Honda 350's?

10. Chumbucket

I saw that, Charles...

11. 7470racer

Chuck and ChumP-bucket must have nothing better to do. Go spread your Holiday cheer in some other thread. Bah-humbug!!!! You're right, you added nothing of value. Move on.

12. charles

charles The Transporter

Chummie and I are free spirits. We are what we are.

13. Chumbucket

Good God, you tell the guy he's funny and he goes all Masshole on ya...Good luck with the FZ, dude, hope it works out for ya...Happy Motoring!

14. 7470racer

Dude, you too, Chumpbucket!! Happy New Year, you free-spirits!!!

15. kenessex

Well I am on this thread by invite cause I actually know something about racing FZ600s, but if you are going to mean to Charles and Chumbucket (Hi Chummie, Hi!!!), then I am not going to play here anymore,too. Have a nice time here in "Your ?" thread all by yourself, alone. I won't come back even if you ask me nicely or anything. However, if you were to offer a nice haggis, hampster or cookie, I might if I can bring Charles and Chummie.

Ken

How is your rear shock and wheel? Mine are really good!!!

K

16. john westcott

Come on and stay Ken. Things will be ok you will see.
    Hey I just scored an FJ600 intake cam from ebay for $18.00
    Now I just need to put it in properly when it get's here.

17. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Have an FJ rack in the garage I was going to use on an FZ years ago that aren't doing me any good. Will PM.

18. Gateman

Gateman Well-Known Member

Had one of these in 1986. Sat on the podium at Daytona in "88". AMACCS Endurance Series.

Here's what worked best for us. (I and Billy Wiese, engine builder / tuner).

1985 FJ 600 head (FJ head has alot more meat to cut on then the FZ head)
    BTW...we went 100 % flow on the head.
    The Valves are also bigger on the FJ 600 head then the FZ.
    FZ carbs with stacks on them.
    Mega Cycle cams (sorry don't remmember the spec's).
    Falicon did my crank. Yes, took some weight.
    JE Piston was the choice we used.
    Mid season went to Carrillo with the rods. (Wished I had gone with them at first then with the stock rods).
    Heat shield Fabed up between the carbs and the motor. Looking for cooler air.
    D & D Exhaust. The thing was crazy LOUD.

Drilled out front axle like the rear was.
    Also replaced all bolts with titanium and nuts with magnesium. Did not replace the rod bolts or the long threaded studs of the cylinder block. But yes EVERYTHING else. BTW, I worked in the Airline industry so I could get these quiet easily. They already came drilled YEAH !!!!
    Total loss of weight was just over 14 pounds.
    Man... Do Not drill the chassis. Bad idea.
    Stock forks with Progressive Springs up front, Ohlins on the rear.
    BTW, PMP Sprockets should still have on file the patterns for the rear hub if you need a selection for some gearing. Turn around is pretty quick as well.

This bike would stay up with the Suzuki GSXR 750 at the time.

It was a VERY FAST BIKE.

T. Johnson

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  19. john westcott

Sounds good Gateman. I wonder why you flowed the head but put the smaller FZ carbs on?

20. Chumbucket

Ken, your integrity, as always, is unimpeachable. But I must warn you, I've dealt with malcontents of this regional variety before and nothing good will come out of it...When challenged their response is almost universally unpleasant...

[​IMG]

...and the heap you rode in on, Mister...