1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZ-09

Discussion in 'General' started by mike574, Jun 17, 2016.

1. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

Any long time reviews on this bike, I remember when it came out reading that some members bought this bike. I have been comuting the last 8 years with a 95 YZF 600 that will just not die (i think it has between 80 to 90k on it by now) and at 42 I just can't take the riding position any more for my 80 mile round trip comute into NYC every day. This FZ9 just seems like it would work for me. Is the suspension as bad as some of the reviews say, and is the throttle response that bad?

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I have a '14 FZ09. What I've done is added a M4 exhaust, throttle tamer (essentially an aluminum eccentric throttle tube), and reflashed the ECU. Throttle response off idle is still marginal in my opinion. I have learned to just ride thru it. Yamaha offered to reflash the ECU with the '15 FJ09 map but I didn't do this. I understand the latest FZ09's have improved maps and the magazines say the '16 versions of this bike (and the various versions of the Yammie triple) have better off idle response. My biggest complaint with the bike is the seat. It slopes to the front way too much. I put a Seat Concepts seat on it and it's a little better but still sucks. At only 6 ft tall I wish for about another inch back to the seat step and less forward slope. My advice is take it for a long test ride. Otherwise the bike is a blast.

3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I've owned mine since Oct. 2013, right after they first hit the U.S. market. The suspension is definitely too soft and lacks decent damping, but those are issues that can be pretty easily overcome with aftermarket stuff. Personally, I've got a Penske double clicker on the back, set up for my riding weight with gear, and had Nick Stolten from Stol Tec Moto do the front of the bike....springs, valving, oil height, etc. The other major issue for me was as stated above...the stock seat sucks donkey balls. I've had mine modified by Eddie Copeland and it is 110% improved and makes for an enjoyable ride now....even on 250 - 300 mile days.

The initial fueling was snatchy, to say the least. I've had the ECU reflashed AND remapped for the Arrow full system that I have on the bike, night and day difference for sure. The flashing of the ECU can also allow for the top speed limiter to be removed (I didn't) and it can also set the default at start up mode to either "B" or "A" mode....whichever you prefer, or you can simply not change it and leave the "STD" as your default start up mode. I had mine switched to "A" mode and the bike is very easily rideable there and smooth. I've switched to "B" once, while in the rain, just to make sure it works, and "STD", just to make sure that mapping works too.

Also, the 2014 model did have an available Yamaha "reflash" for the existing ECU mapping, but I'm not sure if that is still available unless the bike under the warranty period.....I'm not sure. The 2015 and 2016 came from the factory with the "enhanced" ECU reflash already in place, so that was taken care of for you. You still have the option of having a reflash done by a tuner like vcyclenut down in Florida and that is usually the preferred method if you are going to want some of the other options that I mentioned above....aftermarket exhaust, top speed eliminator, etc.

All in all, I would have to say that the FZ-09 is probably the most fun bike that I've ever owned for street riding.....and I've had a bunch over the past 45 years or riding. The bike still puts a smile on my face every single time I ride it.

PM me if you would like info on the best damn FZ09 forum on the interwebs.......I'm a moderator over there.

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

If you want a comfy bike for long commutes, I'd shell out the extra grand and get the FJ-09 instead. Very similar bike, but better seat, tall windscreen, more upright position, better stock suspension, better accomodations for luggage, electrical plug for your phone/gizmos, better headlights, etc. Definitely worth the extra money imo. Mine has a stage 5 Elka shock and I had the front end completely redone by Accelerated Technologies with an Elka piston kit and a mix of R1 and ZX-10 internals. Works wonderfully.

5. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Fuel range on the FZ09 may be an issue for you. It has a small tank. You may be filling up every day if your commute is 80 miles.

I've heard of stability issues with the FJ09, as in the bike going into a speed wobble while passing semis. I don't know if these were just isolated incidents or if it is a common issue.

6. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Check out the FZ-07 as well. Being a twin, it has some different character versus the FZ-09. Also soft with stock suspension, but the fueling is excellent.

I am waiting for an FZ-09R with upgraded suspension and an R1-style dash :)

7. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I rode a FZ-09 on a demo ride, and thought it was too twitchy personally. Would be a bitch riding on the highway for long distances with no wind protection as well.

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The handguards do catch some wind, but often the wobbling is caused by bad suspension setup. Mine can have a light twitching at triple digit speeds, but it stops if you keep it pinned :D

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Hell yea…..gotta ride through it.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  10. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

I have a 14 fz09 and suspension pretty much sucks. I got my bike with an ohlins rear shock but stock internals. They really need a cartridge kit for adjustability. I put a Saddleman cf track seat on and made a WORLD of difference in comfort. I also put woodcraft clip ons on the bike since the stock bars make your body feel like a sail. Every gust of wind was scary. Over all the bike is a riot to ride especially around town.
    Did I say its wheelie happy?
    I love the bike but selling for something more suitable for track use.

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

12. zjay

zjay Well-Known Member

2015 love mine, i actually started enjoying street riding again. Cheap fix for the suspension is a rear shock from a zx6 05-08, heavier springs and oil up front. Fuel range sucks, so does the seat. For commuting i usually leave it in std mode which lessens the twitchness of the throttle.

Engine makes up for the shortcomings.

13. mike574

I actuly can't buy an fz07 if i did i know it would turn into a race bike for the light weight classes by the end of the year.

Greenhound386 likes this.
  14. mike574

That good to hear i alreay have a spare 06 zx6 shock. I think i am sold on the bike just have to go to a dealer and see what i can get on for, although i have to finance so not sure what kind of deal i can get. As far a fuel milage as long as i can get 100 miles to a tank I'll be happy

15. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

I've been considering trading my 07 Tuono Factory for one... probably making a mistake?