1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZ-07 Arrrrrr Superbike brake caliper project

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Nov 24, 2019.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I was just looking at that. The rotor will get bent to match up the single pad pressing against it. That rear caliper needs to be a sliding pin style to work. I was just looking at a Kawasaki Concours that has three sliding pin calipers (two front, one rear). You could buy the rear and have it work best as it's a bottom mount caliper with hose orientation to suit.

2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I thought about this issue. I got the idea from my 749 RS caliper that Pegram used in the D200 back in the old days (see the second post). It's not going to be perfect, for sure. When the rear brake is depressed (by tech inspection-I never use the rear) only one pad will push against the rotor. That will slightly deform the rotor, since it's not being pressed from the backside. When brake pressure is released, the piston will retract as usual. The backside pad could rattle around in there, but it's basic purpose is to prevent too much bending force on the rotor when the brake is applied.

3. Gino230

yes and I was just as fast! If you had agreed to rebuild my spare engine when we were in Atlanta, I never would have bought this thing.

It's the off season, and I have 2 less Ducatis in the barn, so I have to wrench on something.

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Lol. Only so many hours in the day!

Gino230 likes this.
  5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Not hard to make it floating

6. Gino230

The Rotor or the caliper?

7. TWF2

Either could be made floating but in your case I would do caliper. Use different mount bolts, ones with flanged head. Make bushing little longer than caliper width for those bolts. Drill caliper mounting holes couple thous bigger than bushing OD. Caliper will slide on bushings when brake applied.

beechkingd, pscook and 83BSA like this.
  8. TWF2

You can use one of this bolts, think 12mm shoulder length for that caliper would work.

Attached Files:

Gino230, Boman Forklift and pscook like this.
  9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

What's the weight savings over stock setup?

10. Gino230

I can't remember if it was one pound, or 2- before I cut down the caliper. I will do another weight comparison once I get it all together.

11. Gino230

For a 10mm shoulder diameter, how large would you drill the caliper mounting holes? Thinking about skipping the bushing step. The Aluminum caliper body will slide on the Stainless bolt shoulder.

Problem may be drill sizes are somewhat limited?

12. TWF2

You can get drill bit in almost any size, between metric, standard, letter size you can be really close. You can get drill bit that is same size as bolt and use that.
    Less clearance the better. 2 thou would be nice, just enough for lube in between. May be hard to get using drill bit.

Gino230 likes this.