1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

funky feeling forks

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Yard Sale, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

Over the winter I replaced my 06 GSXR600 forks with 750 forks, swapping the K-tech valving, and replacing the soft springs with stiffer springs more appropriate for my weight (if still slightly soft). Set everything as close to the previous settings as possible, but didn't set the sag. Otherwise, same tires and geometry as before.

Charging in hard trailing the brakes on this particular bumpy turn, it feels like the forks are twisting. I'm sure they are not, but that's the only way I can describe the feeling, having raced an EX500 and tied up its stock forks under braking. The witness zip-tie says the dust seal is getting to within one-third of an inch of the bottom fork leg.

Riding outside of the bumps feels OK.

Front tire is a Michelin S1246A but I forgot to re-check the pressure during lunch and it was likely over 30 psi by a pound or two.

Here's some video of the turn, from last year.

4:10-4:15 held up by traffic, taking the outside line
    7:10-7:15 charging harder on the inside bumpy line

2. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

1/3" from the bottom is actually bottoming out, AFAIK.

I just had GP 25mm cartridges installed, and my tuner marked (w/ sharpie) a line on the fork tube where it would be bottoming. It's probably 1/2" from the bottom of the tube. This may be a characteristic of the 25mm kit, but I've heard the same about the stock forks as well.

3. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

That's what I feared. What kind of bottoming system do these forks have? When I have bottomed my 250's forks (in this turn), it was a hard clank, a very different feeling.

If it's true, it's a shame, because I was just barely bottoming with .80 and .85 springs. Recommended were .95 (actually .90 & .95) but I didn't want to make such a big jump and end-up with too-stiff forks, which is what I did on my 250.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Its a rubber bumper.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

It is?