1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel Question MR12 vs ex02

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JBowen33, Sep 2, 2018.

1. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

So my 14 gsxr 1000 has a map for mr12 ( bought it that way). Just playing devils advocate I emailed Sunoco and they told me there equivalent to MR12 is the ex02 fuel. I did a price comparison and around me to get the MR12 is 140 for a 5 gallon pail and for the Sunoco ExO2 it’s 90 a pail. So my question being does it make a difference if it’s comparable? ( disclaimer I’ve never ran high oxygenated fuel before). I rather save 50 bucks and go with the Sunoco but I don’t want to mess anything up with my bike running the wrong fuel. Help is greatly appreciated thanks

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Just personal opinions...

The Sunoco is 10% oxygen, your MR12 is 8.75%. That 1.25% difference puts you in the "lean" direction. Not saying it's bad, but that's the direction you're headed.
    With a large difference in octane ratings however, 107 and 93 respectively, I'd re-mapp paying particular attention to the ignition curve (can your programmer/re-flash do that?)...but, since you're considering budget, how long do you plan on using the less expensive fuel? Is it worth the price of a re-mapp?

If you wanna be safe without re-mapping, Sunoco M02X Unleaded...99 octane, but only 2.7% oxygen. Its "lightweight" (specific gravity .717) lends itself to good high rpm throttle response/performance and there's none of that effed up lead in it.
    Talk about inexpensive, I used to be able to get its leaded version in 15gal drums for $112.50 ($7.50/gal) back in '03. How much was VP's MR12 then?
    (Thanks to 9-11, the 15 gal drums are hard to come by...used to get 'em straight from the refinery. Don't know how much they cost today.)

People crack on Sunoco as cheap, junk, Budweiser piss, whatever. I've never had problems other than now - not being able to pick it up from the refinery and dealers don't want to do 15gal drums. Why even bother with a 5gal "pail"?
    55gal drums, here I come.

3. JBowen33

I appreciate the info. After Sunoco emailed me back I looked at the chemical make up ( guess that’s the term?) of the two fuels in comparison and just like you said they appeared to be different but I didnt know enough and I was unsure if they were compatible so wanted to make sure with someone.

I never had a “race fuel” map bike until now always used pump fuel. Planning on trying some MR12 in October at a track day weekend and see what the difference is in performance between that and pump.

And side note I agree with the 55 gal drum. If the performance difference is worth it that’s what I’m planning on getting for next season

4. Use the pump gas or other map unless you think you really need that much extra power on a 1000.

5. 418

418 Expert #59

You might want to do more research before you buy that 55 gallon drum. When fuel like MR12 is cracked open they have a shelf life.

Boman Forklift and MELK-MAN like this.
  6. JBowen33

Well how else am I supposed to make up for my lack of skill? Lol

cajun636 likes this.
  7. JBowen33

Vp said 20 days if store in a plastic jug. Once drum is opened as long as it’s stored in a cool place closed properly basically a year before it starts to drop off.

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The way I see it, you pick a fuel and map for that fuel. If you ultimately decide to run a "comparable" fuel for whatever reason, your map is a compromise. When spending money for race fuel, don't compromise. Get exactly what you want and tune for it.
    I know this may sound at odds with my previous post...I'm mapped for caffeine - didn't have any or had too much, can't remember. :D

10. Less brake :)

11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

a new tune/map is the price of 1 set of tires or 2-3 pails of MR12. if u dont want to run MR12 and the motor can be mapped for something else, just do it. then u might even be able to really save $$ by using fuels that are ~10$/gal.

12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

you need to use any Oxy fuel ASAP.. buying a 55 gal drum is very silly if you don't intend to use it in a few weekends. Fact. Even partially used 5gal pails , used at the NEXT race weekend, don't have near the zip an unopened can will have (and i'm talking storing in the very 5 gal pail it comes in, with the cap screwed on tight).
    They have a "born on date" right on the side of a vp pail. Six months is the best, unopened ... once it's had the lid off a bunch of times, and sat around, then opened a bunch more at the next round? you have some very expensive gas that isn't gonna provide more power than pump gas, and will begin running richer and richer (as the O2 content has gone lower and lower)

418 and JBowen33 like this.
  13. JBowen33

Well my next track weekend I’m planning on trying 5 gallons and seeing it’s even worth it. Anyone have an idea on how much “real world” performance I’ll actually gain from it? I know on paper it’s more (duh)

14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

assuming whatever oxy fuel you are running, the bike is mapped for it right? oxy is like liquid turbo so to speak. more oxygen, it will run very lean if mapped for non-oxy fuels.. You can potentially damage your motor just pouring it in and running it. Not sure of other brands, but vp mr12 , this IS the case. You will feel 5-6hp on a 600. Will you go faster? Maybe, maybe not, but the stop watch won't lie.

15. JBowen33

Yes it’s mapped for mr12

MELK-MAN likes this.