1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front slick wore out before rear

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RedReplicant, Mar 30, 2015.

1. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

I put 500 track only miles on a set of Pirelli SBK Pros and religiously made sure the hot pressures were 32/27-28. The bike is a bone stock down to the exhaust 03 Duc 749 and I never paid attention to front wear because I figured the rear would go first from heat cycles. Lo and behold, the front is done on the right side with a lot of rubber left on the rear before bottoming out the 'dots'. Did I fuck up with my tire pressures or something? Is this normal? The wear on the tires pattern wise seems normal to me, but I'm not very experienced.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

wondering how in the world you feel that is "wore out".. is it a mega soft compound that you are getting too hot or something ?

and "500 track miles" ... holy shit bro :) that's like 250 laps.. gotta be some kinda record.

3. ped

ped Banned

I dont know if the Pro's are the same but the supercorsa fronts are ran at 33-34 psi. Yeah you should get more out of it for sure. It's not done but getting there.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. RedReplicant

I'm more or less on the bottom of the edge tread 'dot' on the front and I had a decent front end slide on my last lap before I called it a day. I just don't want to end up on my head if I try and run another day on them. I love the tires, I just find it very strange the front is showing so much more wear than the front.

5. malik ross

malik ross Waits for his asskicking.

I can't wrap my head around this question.

6. RedReplicant

My question is do I have a setup issue since the front tire wore faster than the rear?

7. khill

khill Well-Known Member

The rear Pirelli Trackday Pro will pretty much never wear out.....it will develop a huge "hump" in it when it wears down, but there will still be plenty of tread left. Good tire when it's new-ish...gets unpredictable when it has many heat cycles/days on it. The front has decent grip, but I was never a fan of the profile.

Ken

8. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

:stupid:

9. I don't see anything in those pics that would indicate a bad suspension setup. The wear looks pretty even.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

That tire is toast.... I will recycle it for you... Ship ASAP...:)

11. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

My first year running a 999 (same setup), I pretty much spent the whole year chasing the setup. I finally got the rear to hook up, but at the expense of the front. The front would push/slide everywhere, and shred the tire, but I could at least keep the rear under me...

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

you brake too much :D

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

^^ word :)

i don't know anything about these tires.. and as KH indicated, they may not be ideal for faster riders. BUT, the op is indicating he got 250 laps (+- as he stated 500 miles), and the tire looks fantastic. No offense to the OP, but that is an indicator you are just not going uber fast (compared to a front running expert for example), and i can't imagine it would matter which tire you would use.. you must have been incredibly gentle with the throttle to not wear a rear out in 500 miles of track use. And that front just does not look worn. The wear indicators still have considerable depth.

14. RedReplicant

I'm not fast, or anywhere near close. :) Mid-pack A rider, first time trying racing this year. I'm actually really surprised how much leeway the front gives when it lets go, I'm used to it disappearing and tumbling before I get any feedback.
    Pretty much :eek:
    My rear wants to spin up often coming off slower corners, but I make ~100hp so it's not unmanageable at my current pace. I've always feared losing the front over the rear, but maybe I've been wrong this whole time. :)

15. ped

ped Banned

It doesnt show bad hydraulics but the bike could be nose heavy. It looks like it's starting to cup.

I ran an SC2 front all last year that came off a friends 4hr endurance at jennings at upper level expert pace. Roughly 500-600 laps. Those are harder compound than that.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  16. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I think mines a little more worn :tut: and that's the best front tire made a Michelin slick B compound.
    [​IMG]

That's after 1-8 lap Wera national superstock race and a 12 lap Wera national superbike race at barber during the GNF last oct.

No slippage what so ever from it.

17. rhouck

rhouck wat?

That's nuts. I run the SC1 front, but the grip drops off noticeably well before then... the tire still looks near-new but the grip is not the same. I think I run them for about 100 laps before swapping them out (when racing -- regular track days I'll push them longer).

18. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Reading this....I need to stop changing my fronts so much.

19. ped

ped Banned

IDK I was gonna keep running it until I felt it go off or the tread wore off. I did get slower and slower as the season went on last year though. But still doing A group paces. Ran my SC2 rear for 150+ laps.

20. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

150 lap rear?!

I take my previous comment back. I'll stick to my 2 rears - 1 front schedule.