1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front rotor question (See Pic)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Curifor, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Curifor

Curifor Well-Known Member

After finding that my brake caliper's pistons had seized, I put in a spare caliper from my parts bike.
    It seems that the pads in that caliper have some sort of problem as they've scratched up my rotor. My question is:
    is this rotor still serviceable and will installing new pads wear the surfaces evenly again? Although surfaces look different, the difference can not be felt by hand. Bike was ridden maybe .5 mile in this condition.

[​IMG]

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

From looking at this picture, it appears that the scuffing in on the rotor hub, and not the disc itself.You have to 1st check run out, and thickness.I put mine on a lathe, and hit them with scotchbrite.

3. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

and maybe some degreaser on the rims.

just messing with, you mine would look worse if they were white.

4. werase643

werase643 Well-Known Member

GS500 with stock front end....????

clean up the outer rotor with some abrasive (scotchbrite)
    best if you could get it(outer ring only) sand blasted to go with the new pads
    buy spare rotors if you can find them

pull the caliper and check run out of the rotor while spinning on the axle..look for obvious warpage

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Could of sworn I just said that:Poke:

6. werase643

Sorry,....as my penis shrinks......i don't have a big lathe.....just a little lathe.

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Hey, any lathe is better than no lathe.Been machining quick change stuff for the last 2 days:p

8. werase643

you are my hero....

9. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Let's see how did that go.....
    a hero ain't nothing but a sandwich:D