1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front mount rad okay on RC51 for V7HW?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by bigdaddybwells, Feb 28, 2012.

1. I saw in a post a while back a discussion of a front mount radiator being legal on a RC51 in V7HW. I am to the point of buying a radiator or 2 radiators for my RC project to make some races this year. Did this ever get resolved? I see the front mount option as being an advantage for crashes and possibly keeping the bike running a little cooler.

What say ye?

Thanks.

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

A protest should win given a front radiator is not SS spec by any stretch

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is the RC limited to SS rules in V7? If so then no on the radiator but slicks are fine.

If it's allowed SB specs like other bikes then yes on both.

If you're the guy who called earlier today you might have gotten the wrong info sorry...

Okay, I went and checked, (that's why I much prefer people wait for me to answer here or email me, sure enough gave the wrong answer on the phone since I was in the middle of 3 other things) it's not legal.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

THat's why I haven't rolled mine out of the moth balls. :D

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because of the radiators?

6. Venom51

Yeah..just don't feel like converting it back. Plus the never ending replacement everytime it slides along the ground.

Both simple rider issues but enough to not bother with it. Really boils down to me getting lazy in my old age and just not wanting to fart with it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  7. Yes. I am the guy that called. Bummer on the radiator. It will sure make crashing a little more expensive than usual.

Venom, is there a performance advantage? Stick said you were the guy to talk to about setting one of these up to race.

8. Venom51

Performance advantage? I could formulate arguments for and against it. They do however hold up better when the bike goes bouncing along the ground. They do work better than the side mounts so they do reduce engine temps considerably and that helps in the heat of the summer.

Mine got pistons and some port work and a but load of time on the dyno so they did help with being able to deal with the additional heat.

There's no way I could keep the thing cool in July down at Jennings with the side mounted rads.

9. Well I bought mine via GripMoto from Palm Beach Sheriff's auction. It should run, but I have not tried to start it yet. The motor will be stock with a power commander and some pipes. My big concern was to keep crash costs down. These side mount radiators are not cheap and basically act as frame sliders. Did you keep the cooling fans? Has anyone successfully figured out a way to keep those radiators safe?

Mongo, any chance of getting the front radiator legal? The front mount is about $800 and a pair of the side radiators used are $200 a piece.

10. Venom51

No fans on the race bike. Put some frame sliders on it and hope for the best when it hits the ground.

11. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Hey venom- will you please look at my ride height adjustment thread in the tech section? I'm looking for some setup direction on my 51 and would like to know what worked for you...

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry. I would however personally vote for no crashing.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry but nope. Cooler is a performance advantage.

14. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Good to know. I still like the idea of the front mount though. Man, the 51's like to run hot. Not so much when they are moving.

15. No crashes and side mounts it is. Thanks

16. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

This is the second year of the 51 in V7.

Ask Sean for superbike specs for them.

17. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

Superbike specs on the 51 will make a huge difference, and spec it way out of the V7 class IMO.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. I realize most can't afford to go full tilt with it but the potential of the bike in SB spec is way too much for V7.

19. Venom51

Even in SS trim it's tough on the old oil heads GSXR's and such if someone can keep it under them.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And they're big enough to muscle that pig around :D