1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front caliper brake pin safety wiring...how to??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by roy826ex, Feb 26, 2004.

1. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

My '01 GSXR600 had r-clips stock no need to wire these. New bike ('04 600) has just the pin screwed in no r-clip. There is no head to drill into it is a flush allen into the caliper body, how the heck am I suppose to wire this??:confused: I am leary of drilling the pin to insert a r-clip or even to safety wire it, the pin may fail from the hole being drilled plus there is not any excess pin sticking out on the other side of caliper body. This looks like a tough "to do area".

advice needed.......

2. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Order a set of 01 600 pins. They are longer and will work just like they did on your 600.

3. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Thanks Bill, damn those pins are expensive $14 bucks a piece from Ron Ayers & the clips are $2 bucks a piece so about $75 bucks to rig those damn calipers up to the rule book specs.:eek: The '01 600 only had 1 pin bolt per caliper the '04 has friggin (2) pins per caliper. ouch!!

4. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Just take the caliper off and tighten the pins upto spec. and drill through the body of the caliper at a angle and through the allen head of the pin. You will have the brake line off anyway it is a easy thing to do..

5. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

those pins are hardened steel how do you drill through that?????

I have fried a couple bits already(cobalt)

6. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

I just use a cheap hand held drill and a pack of Harbor freight bits for 1.89