1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

418 likes this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

The more the climate change the more remaining have change... You know, THE THING!

ducnut likes this.
  3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I just saw a meme that said raising cows reduces carbon in the air. If this is true, we are compelled to burn as much petroleum as we can to prevent the plants from dying!

ducnut likes this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If you can tolerate Joe Rogan, he featured Will Harris (Ep: #1893) who explains how it works, which flies in the face of what all the climate people have continually crammed down our throats. It’s an outstanding episode on nature, food, and humanity.

ToofPic and 27 like this.
  5. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Yeah but reducing atmosphric co2 is a bad idea... Its already too low!

Now the control freaks are gonna get rid of my burgers and lattes to keep co2 UP

ducnut likes this.
  6. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

7. 418

418 Expert #59

I quoted the wrong article. Apparently shit has been going downhill for a while now.

https://cdllife.com/2023/driverless...erations-will-lay-off-75-of-american-workers/

Also, Otto which was a startup that hauled a load of Budweiser back in 2016 starting the "learn to code" movement for truckers, as we were all going to be out of a job by now, quietly went out of business years ago.

Oh the irony.

https://money.cnn.com/2016/10/25/technology/otto-budweiser-self-driving-truck/

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    ducnut and OldSchlPunk like this.
  8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

"Hard Braking" alerts? I've had 3 in two weeks. Cocksukers wrote me up on the first one.To me hard braking is smoke,and flat spotted tires.I had another one last night on the 101 in bumper to bumper traffic.
    I'm about to tell this place to get f-d. I despise the electronics. Lane assist,it e even goes batshit when I'm turning a corner warning I'm hitting something that's not there,and objects ahead that don't exist.
    I've never had a dot record accident in 14 yrs.Let me drive and leave me the fudge alone with all this shit

tl1098, dtalbott, R1Racer99 and 3 others like this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Your employer has the parameters turned up too high.

We had PeopleNet and switched to Samsara. We’ve had some teething issues, for sure. The biggest thing is how the trucks are set up. We have 1st and 2nd Gen T680’s. My 1st Gen has a speed/radar display and distance timer in the gauge cluster. The new trucks don’t. Driving a newer truck, I struggled to keep that monkey off my back, not having those tools. I run 80/94 through Chicago, two times, every other day, and have no problems with the monkey. I’ve run all over the LA basin, as well, and am confident I can avoid alerts. Without my truck’s additional tools, I’m not so sure.

I feel for you.

Once a Wanker.. and ToofPic like this.
  10. 418

418 Expert #59

Our Cascadias blind spot warning goes off when you're turning sharply, warning you of the trailer you are pulling.

That's not distracting at all.

11. ToofPic

I've tried telling this new "boss" they needed to have it checked. I'm hauling U-line,and were sub contracting for them.Our last conversation,about the hard braking,I kinda lost my shit on him.At this point,Im gonna see how far they wanna take it.I need to video the other alerts Im getting over turning corners,and objects ahead that don't exist.I had this same problems years ago with Cardinal Logistics,and swore never again!! They get pissy when I know more about it than they do sitting at a desk. I agree,the settings are way too high,and have probably not been serviced in forever. I HATE!! being micro managed

ducnut likes this.
  12. ToofPic

LOL!! I Know loud af!!! And its a Freightliner Im in! I can't take a slow turn w/o it going into defcon 5

418 likes this.
  13. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I didn’t know you guys had to deal with that shit these days, that sucks. With the way I drive I’d be fired day one. I guess it could make sense with rookies, but experienced safe drivers should not have to deal with that.

ducnut and ToofPic like this.
  14. ToofPic

Its all about insurance perks/breaks.I was brought in to look at a hard braking camera clip at a stop sign last week.Cars were parked,and blocking the sign.I told him I didn't need to see that shit,as I had lived it!! Again,no lock up,and stopped with plenty of space.Its just dumb shit,and I can't take it!! I could work in a factory if I wanted heavy hands,and some prick looking over my shoulder. I have a few feelers out for other jobs

ducnut and R1Racer99 like this.
  15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That's the wonderful thing about driver management programs,
    now your good driver has to spend time learning how to "manage"
    the program to avoid alerts which takes away from him concentrating
    on his driving which is what he usually does which is why he has a
    good driving record with your company. Just hire a few good managers
    to run the drivers the old-fashioned way, by screaming at them over the phone.

ducnut likes this.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I told my safety mgr. My gauge cluster displays and alerts, Samsara alerts (PeopleNet was far worse), and my lane departure alerts. There are so many distractions inside the cab that take away from me being able to pay attention to what’s going on outside the cab. The standard response of doing a better job maintaining space doesn’t apply, because the amped up aggression of everyone else on the road doesn’t allow for it, these days. There is no managing of other drivers. I have nearly 30yrs of accident-free driving. I told mgmt they need to stick to driving desks and let us handle driving the trucks, as I don’t need the extra stress. And, the industry wonders why professional drivers are leaving the industry only for immigrants to fill the voids. :rolleyes:

ToofPic likes this.
  17. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

74 working days...

18. ToofPic

19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

418 and ToofPic like this.
  20. ToofPic

That was my very FIRST question!! There's legitimate licensed dumbasses out here already! Should make for some great/sad news in the future,
    and who knows the side stepping to put them in a seat

dtalbott and ducnut like this.