1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From 750 to 1000 !!

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Mars750, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Mars750

Mars750 Got track...

I have a Couple Races this past season on a 06 gsxr-750. I also have Experience on this same Make and Model for track day's. In the mist of all this my race bike was sold and made another Purchase that of a 05 gsxr-1000. The deal was too good to pass up. Sold the old bike and got my 1k for less then the original sale.

Point being is,

Is there any special Technique, Mental, or Physical way to prepare my self to this Monster of a bike. At this point in time the best i can do before my next track day is - Make the bike safe and set up !

I assume, any track i go to there is a 1000 line vs. 600 and or 750. Entry, apex and exit along with braking points will not be the same.

Thoughts and Ideas would be appreciated :up:

Thanks, M

Prior Owner was a KTM fanatic, this would explain the Color.

Attached Files:

2. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Its obviously going to be faster and your braking points will change.
    Overall the 1k is a great bike so have some fun.
    Easy on the throttle until you get used to it!

3. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

the big differences will be how fast you are going when you arrive at the braking area. On a 600 or 750, it can feel like you are just sitting there...when you get to the "3" marker on a 1k, it will still be trying to pull your eyeballs out. ..pulling you into the braking area. For this reason, your braking point is more critical. THe bike is gaining speed every split second you are still on the gas. Also, the braking area will be longer (and that can beat you up physically) because of higher straightaway speed and slower entry speed.

As far as line...Think of it this way....a 1k is losing time whenever its leaned over and gaining time on the meat of the tire. So you want to be on the meat of the tire as much as possible. You do this (especially in drive oriented corners) by turning in a little later than you would on the 750...letting the bike rotate...then picking it up and accelerating out on the meat of the tire.

You'll find that on a 750....it seems like no matter how hard you enter a corner...if you turn your head and look where you want to go...it will go there. On a 1k, if it starts to arc into a particular corner at 65mph...if you try 66mph..it will feel like it wants to go straight. The bike isn't that much heavier, but it acts way heavier due to the engine.

So...you have to be a little more disciplined with your braking marker...and turn in point. Things are going to happen faster. Really concentrate on throttle control. Stay forward..if you get to the back of the seat, its going to wear you out.

Its perfectly normal to feel like you are going to piss your leathers EVERY time you swing a leg over the 1k. hahahaha

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

What He said!!! :up: Especially about the braking points...

5. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Get ready for the tire budget to increase :(

6. Mars750

Mars750 Got track...

Tell me about ti................ I had Preferred another 750 or 600 but this deal was too good. Also looking into Cartridges and TC !

7. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

+1

8. 418

418 Expert #59

Spot on. :stupid:

While back I let my friend ride my 1000 racebike at JGP after riding my stock 750 all day long. Needless to say it was a eye opening experience for him. One of the things he brought up was the comments you made in RRW about comparing a 600 to the 1000. The weight might be close, but the riding experience is completely different.