1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fried vs Smoked Turkey

Discussion in 'General' started by wrx_02, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want to do with the lefrovers. Smoked makes a better gumbo, but for just eating turkey fried FTW. I fry 3-4 every year. Tried one of the oil-less fryers once and that was a joke. It was good, don't get me wrong, but nothing like an actual fried turkey.

K51000 likes this.
  2. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

If it taste like they are doing it wrong. My dad use to always smoke brisket. I never liked brisket, partly because he didn't know what he was doing.

3. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

wrx_02 likes this.
  4. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Usually turkeys. I have the rack so I’ve done a couple chickens. Did a couple of butts when I first bought it, but I have a friend with a really nice smoker that cooks a lot and does them for me.

5. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Used his website in the past, lots of good info there.

6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Ditto. I have had some pretty stellar reviews with this recipe.

7. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

It's got to be the name :eek:

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I leave them at the supermarket and go buy a couple ribeyes instead. If I'ma celebrate with food, it's going to be steak, not bird.

masshole, renegade17 and dobr24 like this.
  9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Smartest thing you’ve ever said on here. :Poke:

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That's not a particularly high bar...

11. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of doing a Good Eats turkey recipe.
    Have been forced to do it every year after.

No matter how you cook it, I would brine it.
    Injection leaves holes for the juices to go out.
    Only variation I do from the instructions is use two new UN-scented garbage bags instead of a bucket. Place turkey and brine in bag, remove all air tie off. Double bag incase first leaks which hasn't happened yet. Put in fridge for at least 12 hours.
    Cook per instructions with a meat probe.

If you fry, make sure the bird is dry before putting in the oil. Love smoked meats but the birds tend to get too dry for my taste.

12. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

Nothing but fried. We had one of those Butterball Indoor Turkey Fryers and it don't get any easier.

zamboiv likes this.
  13. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Just use toaster bags...3 bucks won't kill ya.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Baton Noir

15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've only dry brined the 3 that I've smoked, and I've never had it come out dry. That iced down breast technique definitely helps.

Riders Discount likes this.
  16. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I dry brine all my BBQ usually but never have done this with a turkey.
    I always just seasoned it and fried it, never turned out dry but then again that's why people fry them.

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

See? Glad you hit on this. Fuck turkey. Nasty ass looking scavenger bird. I'd rather eat a newt. Or an iguana.

Steak for Thanksgiving is the shit. It's what I'm doing. I'd rather eat at McDonald's than some nasty ass Gahdam ugly ass fowl.

auminer likes this.
  18. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

What? Nobody here does 'Cajun Fried Turkey'?

I looked at the options on the thread, some good ideas too.

If you're going to Fry it- with the correct Turkey Fryer set up:
    Pure Peanut Oil is best

Then: You can buy (booh, his), or make your own injection sauce with whatever you want- as long as it least half of it is Cayenne pepper sauce- like Louisiana Hot sauce.

You use a Poultry injector (found at stores) and inject all the meet with your favorite seasoning (mines homemade cajun). Let it sit in the fridge or cold for at least an hour (or over night) to marinate.
    Get the oil to 375, and Fry that bird, 3- 3.5 minutes per pound.

To die for.

I've also used a Nesco cooker on really low ~225 and it came out OK, and didn't have to buy the oil.

19. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I've also Mesquite smoked them on my smoker when I was in TX.
    Also comes out awesome- but it take forever- to cook/smoke at low temperatures.- like 5 or 6 hrs?

20. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

All this talk of Cajun seasoning got me to make one of my quick favorite breakfasts!
    Cajun Cheese Grits!

Ya make your grits (usually a boring eat)
    Add some cheddar cheese to the hot grits
    Add some Cayenne pepper hot sauce,
    Stir and enjoy!

I'm even making my grits in the microwave, then add the cheddar and hot sauce- try it, it's good!