1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foundation Piling repair, sleeve with concrete

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Nov 11, 2023.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I always figure if I have the ability to work on my own stuff I'll do a better job than most contractors because it's mine and I give a shit.

TurboBlew, 969, mike w and 1 other person like this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

“Little putty, little paint, make it look like what it ain’t.” ;)

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

There are many reasons for me to do the work myself, and without a hint of a doubt, quality will exceed the work of the locals. I am still in the research phase of this, and biggest difference is the type of filler for the sleeves - concrete vs. resin.

The insurance is certainly being considered, after the fact I am planning to have the repairs inspected and signed off by an engineer. If concrete sleeves are past a certain height, you can claim that the house is now sitting on concrete pilings, and with appropriate paperwork, it will have a positive effect on insurance. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Here is what the neighbors have done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Here is our place after Idalia. Whole bottom level is designed to be flooded with breakaway walls and all that. After Hurricane Michael water came up all the way to the ceiling. As you imagine ground water level is very high normally, and wooden pilings are always in wet soil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's covering up, not giving a shit because I'll probably die here so I want it done right. :Poke:

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

If you don’t lighten up, Francis, you’re probably right. :moon: :crackup:

brex likes this.
  7. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Tried both my computer and phone, but I can't see the pictures.

8. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Another Try. This is what neighbors usually do.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
  9. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Pics of the latest post-hurricane storm surge:

4.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Does that garage floor have an extreme high slope rate or is that the camera?

GRH likes this.
  11. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Little slope, not much. must be the camera

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Whatever you decide to do, DIY or hire a contractor, make sure it's done to code. An insurance adjuster would love to deny a claim because you used galvanized bolts instead of stainless bolts. Just do your homework. That's an interesting project your neighbor has.

evakat and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  13. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

I build commercial pools on pilings in Florida all the time.
    From my experience
    1. Remove the wood. Don’t leave it in place.
    2. Paint the rebar when you get the work done. With anything. Even if it’s just paint. The more waterproofing the better.
    3. Pay the money. Hire an engineer. Get a signed and sealed plan. Then hire a contractor to do the work.

this is your house you’re taking about. Don’t skimp. Have the engineer come out and sign off on the work at forming, steel and then after the pour. That way if anything ever fails, it’s on him. And not the $14/hr home improvement store employee. And you have a case to stand on.

evakat, TurboBlew and YamahaRick like this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Might I suggest discussing your approach with the engineer you are going to have inpsect prior to starting. It woulkd suck to do it your way and discover he/she/they/it won't sign off.

YamahaRick likes this.
  15. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

No engineer is going to put his license on the line and sign off on your work. He’s going to require you follow his method and his stamped plans. He’s not going to accept liability on your diy project. Well maybe if you find one to rubber stamp it after you throw a huge handful of cash at him over a steak dinner and a half dozen whisky’s.

TurboBlew and YamahaRick like this.
  16. Once a Wanker..

Thanks, I can see them now.

I like the fueling stations on the lifts, as an emergency solution.

In my opinion, you are where I was with my folks home 30 years ago. It doesn't get any easier to do 'the last minute, I've got to be home now' stuff. Plan long term with everything you do. You said you plan to stay there. Whatever you decide to do, expect a much worse scenario than what these pictures show and be well prepared for someone else to deal with it. Trust me on this.

I would never do what your neighbor did, myself.

YamahaRick likes this.
  17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Just my random thoughts.
    1. Some houses have been built where no house should ever have
    been built. If you live in such a house and the kind of problems
    that will occur because of the fact that a house should never have
    been built there are showing up, sell it now along with the problems.
    There are lots of houses with fewer problems.
    2. Temporary fixes are just that and will have to be done again.
    3. Houses with problems that have been treated with temporary fixes
    are going to lose value because future buyers will become aware that
    they have problems that have been treated with temporary fixes.

You pretty much have to decide if you're willing to keep dumping money
    into a house doing temporary fixes that will need redoing again and again.

18. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Could you expand on that thought? This is not the first time I have seen this approach.

19. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I can DIY whatever work is needed, or spend a couple hundred K, and still be ahead of the budget game. This neighborhood has been build around 40 years ago, and everything is solid. Time would decay marine grade pilings, so nothing is out of the ordinary here. Ideally, I would replace pilings with cement ones, but reinforcement repairs are more realistic.

Big issue with that part of Florida, is finding people to do the work. They live on different time in the forgotten coast.

20. Once a Wanker..

From my perspective, it's a quicker and easier fix that will certainly be okay for a while. The wood will continue to decay, as you mentioned in your reply above this one. The 'next' inevitable repair is even more of a challenge. I'm one to do it right the first time, and be done with it. Even if it's just one or two pilings at a time. Replace the wood on the walls and leave some space for air to get inside the studded walls. Get everything up off of the floor and on shelves. Be prepared for this to happen again, perhaps higher yet.

YamahaRick likes this.