1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Former Young Guns...

Discussion in 'General' started by Cannonball39, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about Kris at all Danny. I'm more referring to the guys that have just gone over there to race, like the spanish series, for some more experience. Note my *cough*. LOL

The main point I was trying to make though is that it's 2 wheeled experience...period. Not so much whether it's DT, or MX, or even RR. Purely my opinion though, as RR to youngsters is so new that we really don't have much proof of that concept. With the expansion of RR and "mini racing" in recent years, our kids finally have the chance to learn RR at a young age. Until I found SEMRA, I thought MX was my son's only chance to race a motorcycle.

2. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I am fairly new to the RR scene, although I dabbled a bit with an up and coming Michigan rider a few years ago. My business and passion has been working with young kids bringing them up thru the ranks, primarily in Dt. Many of them never even saw RR as an alernative till later in their amateur careers. DiSalvo, Young, Cummings, Meiring, Knapp(all riders I have worked with) etc...DT is easily the easiest and cheapest way to get a kid into racing, and I think it gives them some good training and skills that can be used in other forms of 2 wheeled racing. It was really funny at the Talledega opener when my young rider was taking his school and test in the rain, others commented on how much his bike was "moving around" under braking and acceleration. He didn't give it a second thought as he is so used to it from his DT experience where the bike is always "loose". After 5 years(age 4 to 9)of DT, our Team has changed it's priorities to lean towards RR...we will definately NOT give up DT, but RR will get the nod if the 2 conflict. It all boils down to where my rider wants to go...I will just be quietly hoping it is to a RR! LOL Tryce

3. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree with you there Tryce. I think that experience with the bike "moving around" is a major help. After this season is over and Caleb gets used to his bike a bit more, the Cornerspin school is definitely on the list!

4. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Clay, Nick and I are heading to 2 days of Cornerspin and 2 days of Cornerspeed next weekend...4 days of schooling...Nick is going to be one tired puppy LOL

5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Geez. Lucky kid. :) Though, in all honesty I don't think Caleb is ready for cornerspin. He still needs to learn his bike alot better. Good luck w/Nick. Will we be seeing you guys at Elgin in 2 weeks?

6. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Does Caleb have a KTM?