1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forks have been sitting

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 01wj, Mar 1, 2015.

1. 01wj

01wj Well-Known Member

If I had a set of forks re-sprung and valved and refreshed and then they have been sitting in storage in my closet for a couple years do they need to be opened up and checked? They haven't been used or even mounted on the bike since they were serviced and my suspension guy told me they should be good to go, and someone else told me they should be opened up and serviced again? (The seals are not leaking) Is there any truth to this?

2. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

My guess is they may weep at first use then quit.

3. ped

ped Banned

they'll be fine. maybe put seal grease on them.

4. 01wj

01wj Well-Known Member

Ok cool, that's what I figured. I couldn't see any reason why they would deteriorate from just sitting in the closet, minus maybe the fork seals. I was actually trying to sell them and a potential buyer told me that he was going to have to have them opened up and gone through since they had been sitting, so maybe he was just trying to use that as a negotiation tool with me. (Actually, he said his suspension guy said it needed to be done, where as my suspension guy said it was fine, so maybe his suspension guy was just trying to drum up business, who knows)