1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fork Springs - Race Tech vs. Traxxion w/Guide.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Bob E., Mar 25, 2008.

1. Bob E.

Bob E. _________________________

I'm thinking about changing springs in the forks on my '05 GSXR1000. (Only to try a different spring rate).

After a quick search, I see that there are a couple of variants available.

The Race Tech appears to be a direct replacement for the OEM spring and will use the stock spacer with washers.

The Traxxion spring set has a plastic guide that is there to keep the spring from rubbing metal. It appears that this guide will allow the use of straight "pipe" spacers as opposed to the stock plastic one that has a centering step on one end.

At first thought the Traxxion spring set seems to be a better choice because it would be easier to make the spacer.

Anyone care to share their experience or offer advice?

2. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

if you use the traxxion with bushing you will have to make a change to the oil height. the bushing will take up oil space.

3. Bob E.

According to the Race Tech calculator, 230 pounds puts me almost half way between a 1.0 and a 1.1 spring. It may actually help to have a little extra internal pressure by way of the volume displaced by the guide along with a 1.0 spring set.

I take it by the lack of negative responses that either choice would be fine.

Thanks.

4. MrStinky

MrStinky causin' a stink

I personally think the race tech springs are on the soft side. I'd go with a more accurate spring...and for the price i've found www.sonicsprings.com to be right on.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You can mix the springs. If you call them, you can order a 1.0 and a 1.1. That will give your front end a spring rate right in the middle.

6. leanangle_750

leanangle_750 Pimpin' Parts

I've used plenty of race-tech springs in fork builds, and have found them to be quite accurate in rate.

7. Bob E.

If you have different rate springs would you still put both of the preload adjusters at the same height?

8. metricdevilmoto

When the axle is connecting the forks together, they function as a single unit. That's why some fork sets put the compression valving in one fork and the rebound valving in the other.

9. metricdevilmoto

Sorry for the double post.

+1. Every set I've ever installed has been as advertised.

10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I am sure they will give you spacer with buffer kit.

11. Bob E.

Thanks for the info.

I talked to Thermosman yesterday and found out that he is planning to be at the Talladega National.

He said that he will have the spring set at the track.