1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FORK PRELOAD ADJUSTERS ON 2007 GSX-R 750 QUESTION/HELP................

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Cobalt Coupe, May 7, 2018.

1. Cobalt Coupe

Cobalt Coupe Well-Known Member

I'm setting up baseline sag etc. on a 2007 GSXR 750 which I am not familiar with. Any other bike I've done this on has lines on the adjusters to even them up and the adjusters will top out and bottom out.

On this bike, the adjusters do NOT actually move up and down to get any kind of a reference to even them up side to side and I've spun them round and round and they don't seem to have any stop either way, although I only turned them 5 or 6 times fearing that they won't ever stop and I will hurt something.
    I have no owners manual for any info either.

So my question is, is this correct ?

If so, how do you reference a stopping point at each end of the range ?

And how do you get them evenly adjusted on both sides ?

OR - have I just not turned them far enough to find the end of the range ( bottom or top ) in each direction and it's simply a matter of counting turns from one end of the adjustment range to get them even ?

Also, comp clickers are on the bottom, rebound clickers are on the top correct ?

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If they keep spinning and never stop then there is something not right inside of the fork and they'll need to be disassembled anyway to address it. To answer your question, to set sag you generally wind it all the way out, and then count number of turns you put into it. So just keep unwinding it until it stops, admittedly I don't know the full range of the preload adjusters, but like I said, if it doesn't ever stop then something inside is not right and needs to be addressed.

And yes compression is at the bottom and rebound is at the top. Comp and reb you generally do the opposite. Screw them all the way closed and then count the number of turns/clicks you open them up.

EDIT: I just glanced at the service manual and I can't seem to find any notes that mention what the full range is for the preload adjuster. It just says to set it to the "standard" default setting to wind it out fully all the way counterclockwise, and then screw in 7 turns on both legs. FYI, the standard settings for reb and comp are both 1 and 3/4 turns out from full stiff.

Not knowing anything about your weight and/or the type of riding you are doing these settings might not be ideal for you at all, they are simply the OEM setting from the manual.

3. Cobalt Coupe

Okay, so you are saying if I turn the preload adjusters all the way out/counterclockwise which is full soft, I believe, that they should come to a stop/top out correct ?

Then I will have a baseline reference point to even them up on both sides to get them even.

Can you confirm for me that it is correct that the preload adjusters themselves on these particular forks do in fact NOT actually move up and down ?

The only other Suzuki I have for reference here is my wifes 2009 SV650, and those preload adjusters have the usual ( to me anyway ) lines on them and they actually travel up and down as you turn them.

And just for reference I ride track days in advanced group and weigh about 170 ish fully geared up, but I think I've got a handle on baseline settings, just that the preload adjusters on these particular forks seem to work different then what I'm used to.

Thanks for the help / info

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yes, yes and yes

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. Cobalt Coupe

Okay, I will fiddle with the preload adjusters tomorrow after work, hopefully they will stop at full out and I will be good to go. Thanks again for the help.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

And just another FYI if it helps you out, Sport Rider's recommended stock suspension settings that they have compiled here is a fairly decent starting point to work off of.

https://www.sportrider.com/suggested-sport-bike-motorcycle-suspension-settings

front preload: 8.5 turns out (they actually adjusted this in the opposite direction of what I described above, it sounds like they cranked it all the way in and then loosened it out)
    front reb: 3/4 turns out
    front comp: 2 turns out

rear preload: 3mm of thread showing above top of spring collar
    rear reb: 1.5 turns out
    rear comp: high speed 3 turns out, low speed 1 and 3/4 turns out

7. Cobalt Coupe

Aahhhhh................. I just realized I didn't mention in the first post that these forks are actually on a 2005 SV 650 and it has a Penske 8983 twin clicker shock on it, so those settings wont help me much. But like I said, I have the baseline setup to start with ( sag at least ), just the fork preload adjusters were confusing me.

I appreciate all the help

8. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

I beleive them forks have 18 turns of adjustment. They do infact bottom out and top out the adjusters.

Wind them all the way out till they stop. Wind in 18 turns and see if they stop.. if not keep going but if you go past 21 turns id be happy to say theres something wrong internally and further investigation is needed.

9. Cobalt Coupe

Okay, I just ran them all the way out/full soft and they stopped. Ran them all the way in / full hard and they stopped. The range is actually 14 3/4 turns on the left leg, and 14 7/8 turns on the right leg, checked twice. Other than the 1/8 turn diff in the range, I think we are all good.
    I now have them set at 9 full turns in from full soft to give me a good baseline sag setting.

Thanks a lot you guys for the help, I appreciate it.