1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Van - Help Needed

Discussion in 'General' started by hatman, Mar 5, 2013.

1. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

My 1995 Ford E250 van is acting up, and given the relatively high percentage of Ford van owners on the beeb, figured I'd toss it out here and see if anyone has any great ideas:

1995 Ford E250 extended cargo van, 5.8L EFI V-8, E4OD trans. 250k miles. I've owned for the last 15 years and put about 200k miles on it, and it's been damn near bulletproof. Don't drive it that much anymore -- have a motorhome for racing -- but still use it to haul the occasional bike, bags of mulch, etc.

Went to start it the other day and the battery was very low. Charged the battery, van started fine. Let it warm up a bit, shifted into Drive, and the van moved very slow. Decided to pull into the drive and take a look and it *barely* made it up the hill into the drive. RPMs not racing like the trans is slipping, but just like the van's not making any power. Everything under the hood looks fine; trans fluid is red and not burnt smelling. Go off to scratch head for a while.

Next day, go to start it and it just cranks, no fire. Hmmmmm. Figure it must be the fuel pump. Use some starting fluid to test my theory, and the thing not only fires on starting fluid, but keeps on running. Shut it down, starts right back up. Put in reverse, van moves fine. Shift into drive, however, and it's right back to barely moving.

Went out to start yesterday, and the same thing -- just cranks.

Not being a believer of coincidence when it comes to things mechanical, I'm not buying that the transmission and fuel pump failed at the exact same time.

Anybody had similar symptoms with their Ford van?

Doing some surfing, it looks like perhaps the MPLS switch could cause these symptoms. Anybody messed around with that before?

I love working on bikes, but I hate working on cars. Unfortunately, my local and trusted independent mechanic closed his shop, and most everyone else who sees a 250k van says "yep, she needs a new tranny" without even turning the key. So I'd like to do some troubleshooting before tossing it to the wolves.

Thanks in advance.

2. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

I'm no mechanic but it doesn't sound like a tranny issue to me. Certainly sounds like a new battery is in order. The lower power sounds more like a spark plug issue.
    Good luck!

3. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Might be some sort of computer "limp in mode" where it's trying not to hurt itself.

Borrow a code scanner fron AutoStoned and scan it.... :up:

Then go from there.

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I agree, no point in doing anything till the battery is fresh or charged...

did you try shifting it into 1 instead of drive? they are known for the shift linkage bracket to come loose in the footwell area making it not shift into the proper gear... google ford van shift linkage.. an easy fix if I remeber correctly

5. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

6. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

Battery load-tests fine -- it was just low the first time as I hadn't driven it in a long time. I did try the selector in low, as I read those threads as well (which is where I picked up the MPLS idea). I'm not sure this 95 van has an actual "limp-home" mode, but I'm thinking it is something to do with a sensor (MPLS or otherwise) sending a mixed or bad signal to the computer.

I'll see if I can borrow a code reader and start there.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  7. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I know the diesels of that era had delaminating issues with the fuel tank. Took a fuel pump, then a pick up, and a couple filters before I figured it out. Would slowly start losing power till nothing.

8. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

It's definitely not an overall engine issue, as it runs/drives fine in reverse. And the transmission had shown no signs of slipping, lurching, rough shifting, etc., previously (and the fluid looks/smells fine). Like I said, based on the behavior, I'm pretty sure it's some kind of sensor telling "lies" to the computer. It's figuring out what sensor has gone off the reservation that is the difficult part.

9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Sounds like low fuel pressure, could be due to a voltage drop across the fuel pump relay or even just a bad pump. Next time it acts up smack on the tank with a mallet while you are trying to start it. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what you have for pressure.

Just read the post above, if it runs fine in reverse its probably not fuel pressure.
    Does it feel like its trying to take off in third? Have you tried shifting it into manual low?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  10. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Is the OD Cancel light flashing? If so then you have a stored code for the trans. Have autozone or someone read the DTC's, you're probably right that it's a sensor issue. A bad range sensor will result in a no crank condition, there's nothing trans related that would cause a crank but no start condition. FYI The E4OD in limp mode gives you 4th gear in D. Put the shifter in 2 and you should get 2nd gear and more power.

11. mollydog

mollydog Well-Known Member

Sounds like a clogged catalytic converter. I had a Ford that did the same thing. I took the converter off and punched out the insides, ran better than it did new.

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

starting to wonder if mine is shot, can runs great up to half throttle.. full throttle makes more "noise" but no more power than half

13. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Check and see if the exhaust has a pulse to it at idle, no pulse is a sign of a restriction in the exhaust.

Could be the original posters problem also.

14. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

I agree

Mouse may have built a nest up the tail pipe

Disconnect the exhaust from the header and see how it runs

15. hatman

hatman Wounded Duc

So do the mice scurry out, taking their nest with them, when I shift the van in reverse? :rolleyes:

16. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Is van equipped with throttle position sensor? Not sure why it would run fine in reverse if this is the issue.

17. Delaminating? I think those were still metal at that time or am I losing my mind?