1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Key Help

Discussion in 'General' started by crusty9r, Dec 8, 2006.

1. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

OK, so kids and keys don't go together. I(they) have lost a set of '01 Excursion keys. I have discovered that you need two keys to program a new key yourself. I only have one key so the dealer has to hook up his magic gameboy to do it. So $35 for the new key(might as well make it $70 cause I ain't getting stuck with this crap again) and $70 for the guy to zap it plus I need a remote entry fob($50) too.

I saw on ebay a bunch of used/like new fobs for cheap. Me being cheap, I'm cool with that. Is a three button fob a three button fob? The part numbers don't EXACTLY match but everybody is listing them as the one I need. Mine is a 3b f87b-15k601-ab and the ones I find on ebay are ****-15k601-**

Anybody got a hook up on key programming?

I'm thinking of just buying the fobs and leaving the only key I have under the floormat. Until the kids loose that key and I have it towed to the dealer...

2. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i bought a key fob on ebay, and its simple to program to the truck yourself. mine was a used ford one.

as for the keys, if you have a key right now, you can do a new key yourself. if you dont have ANY keys right now, you will need 2 sets and a tow to the dealer and he will need to program the 2 keys for you. BTW, you can also buy keys on ebay.

3. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

I've always tied an extra key under my vehicles, but when I bought my 2001 F150 they said I would have to buy any extra keys ($20 ), then have the dealer program the chip inside each key.

Is there a link that walks thru programming the key and repalcement key fobs?

Thx,

4. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

A friend told me this. I haven't used it but I trust he knows what he's doing. If he doesn't know what he's doing, he keeps his mouth shut until he does.

The fob can be programmed if you have one key. All fobs have to be programmed at the same time. (I guess it erases the old fob memory.) Turn the ignition from off to on 8 times within 10 seconds. If done properly, the door locks cycle to confirm (lock/unlock). Press any button on each fob. As a button on each fob is pressed, the door locks cycle to confirm. Program up to 4 fobs.
    To program a key requires two already programmed keys to program a third. You insert the first programmed key, turn on for at least 1 second. Turn off. Within 10 seconds, insert second programmed key and turn on for at least 1 second, less than 10 seconds. Turn off. Insert new key within 20 seconds. Turn on. It's programmed. Repeat all steps for each new key. Program up to 8.
    Without the second key, only a dealership can program the new key.

Hey I was just thinking, would it be possible to program two vehicles to use the same fob? The signal on the fob doesn't change when you reprogram, just the vehicle that accepts it. Right?

5. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

here ya go

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php

6. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

Thanks.....now off to ebay a PATS blank!

7. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the keys, but I bought two transmitters on fleabay for $10 and programmed them in 14 seconds.

8. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Just another 'better idea' from Ford!:down: Make us pay out the ass for a damn key.

mmfoor

9. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

I found my keys!

Hear me now and understand me later. If you have a ford key with the chip in it, BUY AN EXTRA NOW AND PROGRAM IT PER THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS.

Now if I could find my oakleys and my thumbdrive. I know my wallet has to be next.

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Aren't kids wonderful? :up: