1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the old school PM wheel fans

Discussion in 'General' started by Christian157, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Christian157

Christian157 Well-Known Member

Got them powder coated (they were in bad shape when I picked them up) to put on the bike I am restoring. Not a perfect match but close and way better than what they were. Can't wait to put them on the bike. I raced one of these years ago but didn't have the funds for Pm's at the time. Will be interesting to see the difference in handling years later.

Attached Files:

2. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Man, I dig the old ZX7s.

3. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

very pimp :up:

4. Christian157

I know Lance Yeager was looking for a set of these a while back and I have a friend that has a set of them but the rear is a 6inch instead of the 5.5 that I have. Lance if you read this and are interested PM me. Christian

5. GSmann

GSmann Well-Known Member

Sweet! I always wanted to get blue PM's and a stainless muzzy megaphone for my 90' ZX-7.

6. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Those are hot. Nice!

7. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

What color (name or #) did you end up using. I have a set of wheels I'm ready to restore for a 1991 Muzzy Kawasaki I have. When I talked to Dave Turner at Muzzy about the color they used, he said they just mixed several colors together to get their anodized color and there was no formula.

Kinda sucks. Talked to PM as well and they confirmed.

8. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

:stupid:

Tru Dat!!! :up:

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't have great memories of PM wheels. Besides the pain it was to get them back on the bike every time, I was always concerned about how strong they were after this happened as a result of a slow lowside in T2 Loudon. The bike did not hit anything that I know of, that was the only damage.

[​IMG]

The good news was that only of the lip was bent and I did not even notice it. Someone pointed out to me in the garage when I came back from winning my rookie race. :eek:

10. spcassell

:eek: - that's a huge dent. How did you not feel that.

Notice the WP forks. Who do you have servicing them?

11. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

that zx is hawt

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know about the dent, maybe because Loudon is not high-speed track? I don't know. I sent the will for repair after that weekend. So I don't know if it would have been noticeable at higher speeds.

I sold that bike in 2000. The guy who built it moved across the US a long time ago. I wouldn't recommend him for servicing anyway.

13. Christian157

I don't know the name/number of the paint off the top of my head but it was one shade too light in my opinion. The clear coat darkened it but not quite enough for a perfect match. I can get you his phone number and you can talk to him if you like. His name is Randy and the company is called Xtreme Powdercoating near St. Albans, WV. I have his business card at the house. Paid $290 for the powdercoat and $40 for the clearcoat on top. took 2 weeks turn around. He had page after page of custom colors. Can pretty much do any color and the quality is top notch.

14. Christian157

Papa, Did you use the stock rear axle spacer or have to make one for the bike? The stock spacer on mine doesn't look long enough but I have yet to put the bearings back in it. The previous owner went through several bearing on the rear but no issues in the front and if the axle spacer wasn't long enough as soon as he torqued the axle bolt too much it may have pushed the bearings out of alignment. (he also dragraced a lot and was a squid) Just trying to sort things out. Sorry to hear about your experience with them. Christian

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

hey Christian, I actually bought the bike fully built. So I don't even know if the axle spacer was stock or not. I didn't have anything to compare it to.

The thing that made it such a pain was that the damn thing would drop inside the hub as soon as the axle was pulled out. You had to get everything lined up to get the axle to slide back in when mounting the wheel, which works great when you have three hands.

p.s. You're looking at a CBR900RR, by the way. Not a ZX-7, if that's relevant to your question.

16. spcassell

I would like the name or number as a base line. My front rim is the correct color but is 20 years old. I live in Florida and know a local powder coating company. Any help would be great. Thanks again.

Damn I love me some old ZX-7.........Kinda like the cougar of race bikes.

17. cletus

cletus doesn't know sh*t

FYI: I am by no means an expert on metallurgy, but I have encountered numerous references stating the powder coating process can weaken aluminum wheels if it is not done precisely. Basically, it depends on the temp and duration of the baking process. All of the examples I saw were car wheels.

Good luck

18. spcassell

Good to know... I'll have to look into that.

19. boccarp

boccarp Well-Known Member

tit....

20. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

one of my friends had a 90 model zx built to Muzzy spec with anodized blue chicanes and replica muzzy paint. Killed the bike in a street crash at 130 mph or so. He got rashed pretty bad but thats all.