1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the guys with dynos.................

Discussion in 'Tech' started by CarrMoto, Jun 29, 2016.

1. wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

Sure, no mention of a name -- but I was the other party involved. You can try and spin it any way that you'd like to -- but you can't seriously think that I wouldn't read your comments. You may not call it unprofessional-- but I will. And I'll call it a passive aggressive, dick move.

Maybe I read this as sarcastic?
    And then there was this...
    Your guy was anything but professional.

I'm not really interested in getting into a public pissing match with you, Matt. Like I said previously -- I went elsewhere and I dropped it. Sorry you've hung onto the interaction I had with your service guy -- and it sucks that you only got one side of the story. It is kind of crazy that you think it's ok or remotely professional to run your mouth about customers. Like I said before, I always thought you were cool and you have always treated me well, and now I think very differently of you.

YamRZ350 likes this.
  2. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

I had one of my riding buddies on the dyno after he had put a GSXR1000 engine in his GSXR600. About 5 minutes into the process there was coolant everywhere. Luckily it wasn't that hot but it sure was a mess as the fans blew it everywhere and a lot of it ran down in between the panels and towards the dyno electronics. For some reason he had put one of those little rubber vacuum caps with no clamp over a small nipple on the radiator.

The good news...........he helped clean it up.

3. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

Dyno customers, have you signed a dyno release form before your dyno work?

Dyno operators, are you using a dyno release form?

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Sweet this just got much better!

WL Matt never mentioned you by name or handle. You provided that information and then proceeded to call him a dick after calling him out by name. I think I should move on because this is not looking good for you.

CarrMoto, helicopter99 and 418 like this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

You're obviusly a crack head. He never specifically mentioned you yet you're the one that called attention to yourself for no good reason. And you are now slamming him publicly. WTF.

6. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

The only really unreasonable thing I've seen a shop do was charge a 50% premium for labour for bikes that were brought in from the US. Even if the customer wasn't the importer. This was a Ducati dealer.

7. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

On the bottom of every work order, right above signature line. regardless if it gets dyno'd or not. CYA

CarrMoto likes this.
  8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

And he never even acknowledged that this guy is indeed the customer he was referencing even after said customer called himself out.

CarrMoto, stymie12000 and 418 like this.
  9. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

We have a Dyno waiver for multiple reasons. After a nasty instance with a loose rad hose the last shop I was at had to make sure customers know that if the bike made a mess due to neglect then they would be charged for the clean up. Motors blow, it happens, but if someone forgot to tighten a rad hose and we get 1/2 gallon of the green stuff on the dyno then we lose an hour or two just for clean up.

CarrMoto likes this.
  10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

One time, I took my bike to Indy Ducati for a dyno run. I drove a long way, so I was expecting good things! When the numbers were low, I was upset. So I paid Matt and his crüe to assmble a more better motor. The numbers for the final run were higher and I was no longer upset.

-fin-

CarrMoto likes this.
  11. Aka we have lift off. :)

12. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

No I prefer not to use the tuning link, and yes he should. I'll stick to the piggy back systems. You ever met someone that hates fuel injection and wish's everything was still carburated? Thats my take on ECU flash tuning (adjusting fi map via ECU Flash Software) vs Piggy back systems. I like to make a change and see results with out having to turn a bike off. When you run the dyno you find that they're many variables that change constantly.. AFR/HP/TQ readings.. sometimes the dyno is reading slow and or the o2 sensor is getting slow and working around it is easier through simple piggy back systems. I respect peoples decisions to take their bike to a different tuner and encourage it if they do not have a bazzaz/DJpc3. Lucky for me I am dynojet certified, Installed the Dyno, Set up the dyno, and can operate the dyno. I don't have 100 years experience but what resources I have i've been recognized as a tuner.. which is kinda cool, its my hobby not career & the dyno makes plenty of money.

Thanks,
    -JB

13. PitMonster

PitMonster Active Member

I find this funny because I was the pervious service guy and you acted the same way when I asked why you went with one suspension option over another. You got mad and did the same thing then and came back because we worked out the miscommunication. Did I come off harsh, yes I did. I apologized to you for that and we were able to do business again. Now you are saying that I am a rude as fuck service guy. That hurts because I showed you how I and the Carr family wants to do business. You were a happy camper and wanted to continue to do business.

Now that you are not getting your way, you get all mad and say you would not recommend or mention the shop. This is a policy that every shop has been in effect at that shop way before I even start working for Ducati Indy. I believe you have shown how you can flip flop based on if you are getting your way. Now that I am not in the industry I can tell you, clients like you make this industry difficult. You want to have it your way and get mad when it won't happen. It is hard for small shops to stay in business when they have to compete with the online shops and their lack of overhead. Their clients continue to buy parts online and want them to install it. This also presents a liability issue as well because the shop is now having to say this part will work. If it fails then they are on the hook to fix it or to tell the client they have to pay to have the part replaced because they can't warranty the work. They could have if you bought the part from them because they would be able to work with their supplier.

With that said, the small shops keep trucking to show their clients the value of them being there and local.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well said.

It's always amazed me how upset people get when you treat them the same way they treat you...

RightSideUp and CarrMoto like this.
  15. wanderlust

wanderlust Well-Known Member

I think what you mean when you said "acted the same way" was I said forget it -- and had someone else do the work. I didn't ask myself to come back to Indy, I was more than happy to continue to go elsewhere.

Not getting my way? The issue isn't about getting my way or not getting my way -- its about getting the same exact part(s) from the exact same manufacturer at a lower cost and then being told there is a 40% increase in labor cost because the part wasn't purchased through the parts department. I have had the same conversation with multiple mutual friends after the fact, and even though I don't agree with it -- it's the shop that gets to make the call -- and I can make the choice to go elsewhere.

In both instances with two parts and service managers -- I wasn't the one who came off harsh to begin with in either phone conversation. Just simply treating and talking to someone the same way I was.

I chose to drop it then and move on, and I choose to drop it now. I am really happy with the shop and tech that I am working with and I don't have time or inclination to have an internet pissing match.

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. Take it easy Tommy.

16. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I have driven a long way just to go to Indy Ducati (both with Ducati and other bikes) because of their work. I have spent my fair share of money with them but I've also had "don't worry about it" after spending waaaaaaay too many hours on the dyno and I try to pay. If I had a bike now or way looking at Ducs I'd make the 4-5 drive to go to their place again but that's me

Resident Plarp and CarrMoto like this.
  17. Filterboy

Filterboy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, clearly the case!

Excellent use of irony as every single post of yours in this thread is useless 'pissing'.

18. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

We have a waiver for that as well.:) Customers need to understand that the warranty on the part is between them and the retailer that sold them the part, not the shop that installed it. If the part is found to be defective post installation and the customer wants it removed so they can return it to the place of purchase, then unfortunately they will have to pay the labor rate for it's removal as well. The few times that this happened I felt a little bad for the customer and we can't compete with online retailers in many cases so I can understand losing the sale, but why should we cover the cost of the labour associated with the failure. We inspect every part that customers bring in, but some stuff can only be tested once it's installed.

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

This seems appropriate here. When I was 23 I bought a used 930 Porsche Turbo and blew it up on the drive home. I'm pretty mechanical, so I tore it down and ordered all the parts and the $1000 Porsche shop manuals.....which suck compared to Japanese motorcycle manuals. I bought the special tools to degree the cams, dial indicators, etc. and read over how to do it.

At the time, I was ready to put it all back together, I figured it would take me at least 2 more weeks of my time to figure it all out, and that's if I didn't screw up the cam timing, which is not straight forward like every other engine I had built at the time. So I called a local shop to discuss how much they would charge me to put it back together. $4000, 40 hours @ 100 per hour, and that was only after they saw that I had cleaned and bagged each component with it's fasteners and marked everything during disassembly.

I didn't save a penny, it would have cost me the same amount if I had towed it to them to begin with. I remember asking if I would get a little discount, because I sourced all the parts and am bringing them over to them, so their parts department didn't need to get the cylinders/pistons/gaskets, etc. He laughed!!!!

Now after owning a business, I understand why a shop would want to charge more for you bringing in the parts. At 23, I naively figured they would be happy I did all that grunt work for them. So, yes I paid a huge premium just to get it back together.

It worked out good for them too, as it was back in the shop a few more times over the years!!! LOLOLOL

Rogue4 likes this.