1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? for the beeb

Discussion in 'General' started by Biggboi, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

Always wanted to know motocross tires are they as critical to performance results.
    As it is with road racing as in different compounds , sizes brands and the like .

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

3. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

In the same way as far as the technical side or...........

4. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Try turning it off and then back on.

5. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

Any dirt riders out there !

6. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Is that a question, or a statement?

7. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

? Just wanted to get more of an understanding of motocross tires and how they work in comparison to roadrace rubber !

8. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

The spacing of the knobbies. The shape of the knobbies. The pattern of knobby placement. The softness or stiffness of the knobbies. The stiffness of the sidewall. The height of the sidewall. All of these are manipulated to maximize grip on the particular surface of the specific event.

9. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

! Oh ok; then?

10. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

Wow didn't think it got that deep on dirt !

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dirty bike tires are ribbed for pleasure. Add an auto blipper and you're a pron star in no time!

12. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

13. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Do they set pressure hot off the warmers or off the track?

14. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

A hard pack surface needs closer spaced knobbies of softer construction and s stiffer sidewall to lessen flex. That was the theory behind the introduction of the 19" rear wheel. The tire isn't physically taller than the 18", it just has less sidewall to flex in the giant bowl turn of S/X. The 18" is the standard in Enduro because the larger, softer sidewall allows it to better conform to roots and rocks. In softer surface tracks, particularly muddy ones, a wider spacing of knobbies allows for more "dig in" and easier "clean out". A slightly offset pattern can also be used to create a "paddle". The knobby pattern can also be extended a bit further out in relation to the sidewall for better drive grip when leaned over in corners of outdoor M/X tracks that have a far looser dirt consistency. There have been experiments with sizing variations as well. The 20" wheel was used in S/X, a shorter, wider front to maximize grip for aggressive braking and corner speed.
    I'd say that dirt is a far more difficult tire to work on, as the tracks are so varied and change so much over the course of the event.

15. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

Good good info !

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I just run some hard-assed Chinese shit.
    I'm okay with that since I quit chasin' trophies.
    Haven't changed a dirt tire in years...still looks new. :D
    IMG_0800.JPG

17. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

That's one way to do it !

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Ask James Stewart, Jeremy Albreight and the JGR Yamaha crew!

19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

What about tire warmers?

20. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

To me it's just as important. I'm on shitty Dunlops now cause that's what come with the bike. I'm tempted to just go ruin them on the street they suck so bad. They've already thrown me down at speed on the very first ride:rolleyes:

Michelins will be on it soon enough :p