1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food "Safety Bill" was passed=no more home gardens

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by used2Bfast, Dec 21, 2010.

1. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Looks like the Senate was busy Sunday night. Also, heard that the provision
    that protected small farmers and organic farmers was stripped out.

Yet again, more gov control under the guise of "protecting the people". This also adds 17,000 MORE high paying gov jobs to enforce this.

Next will be the Land Safety Bill.. That will enable FEMA to control all waterways(like the little mtn creek that flows thru ones front yard here in the mtns) in the name of "Flood Plain" control. We here in the mtns of WNC already are feeling this. FEMA is trying to lay claim to the right-of-way of 200yrds within 'any watershed'. Hell, thats the entire mtns.

http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatc...-passes-food-safety-bill-by-unanimous-consent

The comments are interesting for sure.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

yeah, i voted for that. not.
    people say, if you don't like the politicians, vote 'em out of office.
    good fuckin' luck with them takin' their mess with 'em as they leave...that's the real problem.
    once/if this shit is enacted, it doesn't go away.
    this kind of stupidity needs to stop or, i'm guessin', it won't be long before someone draws blood from these bozos.

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Just read the linked article. Couldn't find the parts that eliminated home gardens and such. Would one of the resident RWNs please point it out for me?

4. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

It will affect CSAs and folks who sell raw milk, etc. Kind of like the stupid bill that effectively banned selling little bikes to kids. Lots of unintended consequences. Basically it adds another layer of ridiculous regulation that small farmers will need to comply with to be able to sell their products to the public, which of course will cost more money to them and more money to the taxpayer.

It's supposed to be a food safety bill, but in general they are not addressing the real problem, but rather hamstringing the little guy and possibly put artisanal food purveyors out of business permanently. This is nothing more than a reactionary piece of legislation to address the latest food born illnesses, which really originated in factory farms, not the little farmer, dairy, or cheesemaker.

For the record, the Republicans were supposedly against it, and I'm sure there was a back room deal because it passed unanimously for some reason.

5. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

The original bill has been around for about 2 yrs, and it indeed stated just that. I read today it had some wording that needed to be changed and was rewritten and then resurfaced as this current bill. I've not seen anything concrete stating as such in this one, and only going by hear say. But, I can only guess it would only make sense, since with home gardens(like I grow every year) they couldn't regulate how the food is grown, processed, etc. So the newly imposed regulations will inevitably cover small backyard farmers as well..or be deemed "unlawful" otherwise.

6. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I have far too much $$ tied up in hydroponic equipment to give up my, ahem...."garden"

7. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Well-Known Member

does this mean i'm going to have to look for the GOV. stamp on the back of the zip lock baggies.:down:

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

9. Spyderchick

Yup, it specifically mentions CSAs and farmers markets.

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

They did not want to piss off the hippies/yuppies.

12. MadManx

MadManx Retired for 2013-2014

We all know what needs to happen.. Just not going to say it.

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:D

14. Spyderchick

'Mumbo jumbo', the same language all bill sare written in.

CSAs and small farmers are the hippies and yuppies. :D

15. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Would the food safety bill cover eating hairless kitties?

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Community Supported Agriculture should be unregulated?

17. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I have not made up my mind about CSA, in general. I definitely do not support tax money going to CSA.

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Searched the PDF for 'farmers markets' with no results.

Still looking for the part that eliminates home gardens.

Or was that just hyperbole on the OP's part?

19. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Based on my experience, limited, most of the CSAs that I have seen have been at the brink of failure.

Regulate CSA or don't but keep tax dollars out of it.

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Oops! Found Farmers Market.

I don't have a big problem with regulating