1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fontana - Lost & Found - & Discards

Discussion in 'General' started by Gehr, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Hey WERA West racers:
    I did my usual pit sweep stuff after a long day out on the track on Sunday.
    Found something related to tires/wheels changes in one of the garages that the owner should notice is missing when they unload stuff & put everything away. Shoot me a PM with a description of what it is, what garage it was left outside of (Garage near Timing & Scoring, the Middle Garage or the East Garage) & the very distinguishing mark on it & I will help get this back to you at the Las Vegas race or at a Fastrack Riders event after that race.

In other not so great news I picked up 14 empty fuel jugs while making this sweep. Some slammed into trash barrels, some used as gum receptacles/ash trays, and 6 without caps on them. Yeah, I picked them all up so we wouldn't get fined for them & yes, they are littering my backyard until I can get rid of them. Plus the 1/2 gallon of Silkoline 10w-40 left outside the far West garage's Northwest corner bay. Fresh oil but drenched with oil - sweet. Will post up a picture of them stacked up later this week for the hell of it.

Fourteen? That beats the record out @ WERA West, also set at a Fontana round back in January 2010 of 11 jugs (plus the one 25 gallon I just didn't have any way to shove into my truck bed). I just don't get it, this stuff is talked about frequently & some people still just do it. The guys that tossed the caps for the 6 cans they left behind are especially cool (did so while leaving a few ounces of fuel in every can). On the drive home last night every time I stopped at a red light the fumes from the open containers of Sunoco & VP were so bad I could smell it inside my truck. That's with the windows rolled up & the vents closed folks. So when the light turned green I'd roll down the windows & drive for few hundred feet to air out the cabin. Crazy stuff

FWIW - In California you can legally throw these cans into your trash if the cans have no fuel left in them. I used to take these cans that racers left to a local hazardous waste round up & spoke to a manager there when one of their employees didn't want to take the 4 jugs I had brought in that day. I was told to use kitty litter to absorb the last little bit of fuel that might be left in the can, let it air vent out the remaining fumes & then it is OK to put into your regular trash can.

So that is what I cam gonna do with the latest stack of junk I picked up; unfortunately the stuff will have to sit in the backyard for weeks as I just don't have space for 70 gallons worth of fuel jugs in my trash. Ahh my neighbors are really enjoying the new found race ambiance...

:Poke:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Well, someone has to say it...Your a good guy. It's a shame folks can't pack out the crap they bring in, same as when you go camping or dirty riding. People shouldn't have to pick up after you, well, unless your like 6 yrs. old..

3. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Thanks,
    Just pickin up the slack out there.
    No PM yet about the tool
    Bump to the top

[​IMG]

4. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

You didn't even mention the empty boxes people left to blow around the pits. Pretty classy. Funny when the shipping label is still on it.

5. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Ha ha... Drop a deuce and send it priority...

6. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

On thr bright side, atleast your backyard smells good.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Any of the cans have names on them or anyway to out the perps?

8. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Ha!
    The backyard smells like a VP fuel refinery!
    I don't mind it all that much but my one neighbor is giving me that evil eye
    :tut:
    No names on jugs this time around - I have used that approach before & did have a talk with one rider a few years back.
    Racers who run odd ball fuel should be easier to find as well
    But the point is not to be a jerk, just let 'em know to bring their junk home with them next time

Still no post from the tool owner - will shoot Evelyne an email

9. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

I wonder if there would be a paying market for these (outside of the roadrace crowd that is). I have two in my shop for used oil and used coolant--picked up from a supermoto race when they were left behind in the pits. Craigslist maybe?

10. ktkwong

ktkwong newbie of WERA

i woke up sunday morning and saw a bunch of shit everywhere. i tried cleaning everything around my pits, but wasn't sure what to do with the race gas jugs, so i just put them on the side.

it was a WINDY night and WINDY race day, im sure people did not intentionally do it. nonetheless, thank you for doing what you did!

11. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

BAN them. Simple fix.

12. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

Simple rule, every can in the pits must be permanently labeled with the racers number or it will be confiscated and donated to their competitors. Just scratch it in with a 3 foot screw driver.

Then at least you know who left it and can bill for disposal

:rock: