1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding work bench

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I have a cookie cutter spec home with a three car garage...and four cars.

By the time you put three cars in the garage, add a tool box, and mount two bike racks on the wall....no room for a work bench.

Don't need one often, but would like to have it when needed.

Recommendations? Buy one on Amazon/Home Depot? Buy a kit? Have the local woodworker in the HOA build one?

If possible, I'd like the option to use a vise on occasion. I assume I'd have to bolt/unbolt it every time I needed it.

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

As for the vise, is there a place you can mount a plate in the floor so you can bolt/unbolt a vise pedestal when you need it?

3. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Probably. But wouldn't it be just as much work to bolt/unbolt it to the workbench, plus have the ability to use it on the bench as opposed to on a pedestal?

4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

What kind of work do you need to do on the table?

I picked up a 6ft folding plastic table from walmart. Use it for everything, even welding. I just lay a welding blanket over it. Works for me

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Depends on how hard you're planning to work the vise.

A shop I used to go to had a vise mounted on a 6' piece of RR rail buried about 2.5' into a concrete floor. They used it to straighten drag links and bend roll bar tubing.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Make a heavy bench and hinge/latch it to the wall with fold up legs. Pull out the offending car, lower the bench and voila!.

SpeedyE and lopitt85 like this.
  7. I’d park a car outside. My tools don’t like to be cooped up, they are free range tools around the shop.

8. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

You have cars in your garage?

pscook and YamahaRick like this.
  9. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

hey sounds like my tools .free range makes them much happier.i dont even have enough tool box to contain them all.

10. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

+1. Cars outside. Ps wtf do u even need 4 cars

11. We have 3 cars and a 2 car garage. I have a big 20x15 properly build shed / building but that’s for storing misc stuff. Wife parks in one side of the garage and Pomeroy’s fz gets the other side. It needs to be treated with more respect than put in the shed. My golf cart even stays outside as I don’t want to offend it :) bike are like balls, they need their space

BigBird likes this.
  12. Not even close. I have totes for the stuff I don’t use a lot like sanders, paint guns, heat guns, tire groovers, etc.

13. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

A buddy of mine made a nice folding work table out of a solid core door, some hinges, and a couple pieces of black iron pipe (for legs). It's a heavy duty table that works for damn near everything.

14. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I made one in my garage out of 1x1 aluminum square tubing with folding legs and hinges on the back so it could rest against the wall when not in use. Works well and gives me the extra space I need yet providing me with a steady work surface when needed.

15. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Mount the framing to the wall...work table folds down with legs tucked under it and stores flat against the wall. Simply lift the table, let the legs drop down and there ya go...instant work bench. Another option is find a salvage door place and get an old fire rated door (they are solid and heavy) and just put it on some solid saw horses.

sharkattack likes this.