1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FM Helmets

Discussion in 'General' started by C-Par, Jul 19, 2002.

1. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone ordered one or tried on. They pay
    contigency and I'm interested in a new helmet. I was wondering
    how they compare to Arai. I've been using the Arai Quantum and
    I like it. The Rx7 or whatever the next step one I like even better.
    Some FMs are actually more expensive than the Arais. I have never seen or held an FM so I am crurious. I like the Ming style.

2. reknelb

reknelb U must have Klingon blood

I have an FM that I ordered this winter from FM in the UK. I love it, it vents and fits better than both the AGV's I've raced with.

3. jeppe

jeppe Well-Known Member

I got one too.
    It fits well but im not that impressed with the ventilation my shoei feels better in that aspect!

/Swede

4. Paul Wright

Paul Wright Well-Known Member

I may be able to offer some worthwhile comments on this subject.

FM has many different helmet designs and graphics, made around more than a dozen different helmet shells, just like Shoei or Arai. Some of the FM's have absolutely outstanding ventilation, some are not designed to have much ventilation at all. Just like Shoei and Arai. The Ming has reasonable ventilation, but the new Radikal series from FM has ventilation that a screen door would envy. According to FM, the Ming is good for about 5mph extra on a long, high speed straight.

My recomendation would be the new Radikal, or one of the F101 series helmets from FM. They are newer designs, have truly awesome, lightweight, aerodynamic and quiet shells made from a super-strong carbon/kevlar/fiberglass composite, and the CoolMax interiors are removable, washable, and replaceable. The F101 series has pretty good ventilation, but the Radikal is at the top of the list when it comes to keeping your brain cool. They also look great and, well- pretty radical. The Ming is a great helmet too, but if ventilation is your top priority, get the Radikal.

The FM contingency money has not been available yet this year, because FM helmets have not yet been available in the US. Contrary to popular belief, it is not FM that is offering the considerable contingency, it is Marietta Motorsports/1-888-FASTLAP/1888fastlap.com offering the contingency when you buy a new helmet in the US, because we are the new FM importer. Due to government and attorney and insurance company red tape that can only be described as massive beyond all imagination, the first shipment of FM helmets for the States is still on hold, but due to arrive in a few weeks now (we are told), since we got the last documents signed off two weeks ago.

FM makes a kick-ass helmet line, and if you want to see them before you buy, we will have some samples at Mid-Ohio next week, or you can see them here in our showroom, or at VIR Aug 9-11. If you have any further questions, call us and we will help you any way possible.

5. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I'd like to see a test on that:rolleyes: If that's true I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

6. Paul Wright

I'll see if I can clarify with FM how long a straight, and how fast you have to be going before the Ming helmet becomes a distinct advantage in aerodynamics and top speed.

7. Hey guys. What's up Paul? Tried to call ya the other day to say thanks for Laguna, I had a blast, and to see how your and Travis's trip was.
    Anyway, hey guys this helmet is awesome....we brought what Paul a dozen or so out to Laguna. Guys we probably could have sold 3 times what we brought out there if the red tape that Paul was talking about wouldn't have come into play. I heard people say many things as they picked them up, put them on, and looked them over. These helmets were super light in weight, and offer a bunch of different designs not only in paint schemes but also in vent styles as Paul mentioned. The prices range across the board as well which is nice. The liners were sweet. All in all in my opinion the FM line is right up there on the top of my chart, and if I would have known that Paul was getting these in I would have waited instead of getting my Suomy. I could always use another helmet though. Send me one up Paul I'll wear them up here in the NC region, help ya get them out in the public. BTW if you get this before I talk to you on the phone give me a shout if you would please I talked to the dealer that helps me out up here and they sounded interested in the FM helmets so I'm hoping you guys might be able to work something out between the two of you. My number if you don't have it handy is 812-335-0040 or 812-360-3676 Cell. Talk to you later Paul, thanks again man let me know if ever need a hand again. I'm wanting to go to Mid Ohio next weekend but have some other things going on Sat. but I talked to Op dog and told him I'd try to make it out there. Later

Mike

8. Paul Wright

For those of you that don't know, Mike and 3 of his buddies made the trek out to Laguna with us and helped at our display. Aside from getting to see Laguna and watch the WSBK races, they also got a taste of off-roading a Mustang rental car, and instructions on how to fit 9 people in a Mustang rental car to go out for the evening. Cannery Row was, well, Cannery Row.

Thanks for the help at Laguna, Mike, and thanks for the assessment of FM helmets from someone that has now seen them up close, had them in his hands, and tried them on.

Look for some outrageous LAguna pictures on the fastlap website very soon -

9. LMAO yah this guy Paul is a nut fellas for those who don't know him. Yah there are some words that I learned to use wisely around him and those are "You Puss, I bet you can't do that", and "You don't have the balls". LOL mention these words around Paul and you too will learn how to go off roading in a rental car flying down two tracks at 55mph air borne with your head against the roof, and all the air leaving your lungs as you laugh your arse off to no end. If only I lived near this guy lol! Yah also you don't want to be the one riding in the trunk lol (poor poor Billy) lol. I'll never forget John saying "oh man someone just pissed on my leg" needless to say it was only beer from one of the other 8 members in the car. If anyone living in San Fran or near there beware of purchasing a Mustang from a rental company that's all I have to say lol. What a trip! Then of course Opie's phrase that just killed me everytime he used it "I don't give a F$%&, and you know this" what a character! Anyway, great time, and I can only hope that you call on me next year to help out to see if we can top another hill with another car lol.

10. amaner

amaner will do math for food

Hey Paul,
    Brian Stokes mentioned that you guys might get the FM helmets by next week?
    If so, sign me up for a Radikal...
    And that gets the %50 discount on the racer support program, right? :D

11. Paul Wright

Here is the latest from FM - they tell me our USA order is nearing completion in the production facility, but they will not give me a definite date for them to ship - they only say "very soon".

As soon as FM gives me a concrete ship date, I will annouce it as loudly as possible. The Italians take the month of August off work, so I suspect they are trying very hard to have our shipment ready in the next week. Keep your fingers crossed....

12. ZebProctor

ZebProctor Well-Known Member

you're kidding right?

13. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

paul, will marrietta be at pocono for the fusa races?

14. amaner

HENCEFORTH: All Americans will take off the month of August!

Need to start looking for employment in Italy!

15. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I've already been off since May 16th...guess another month and a half won't kill me:p

16. Paul Wright

Not kidding on the August thing - almost all of Italy takes off the month of August, particularly the manufacturing oriented businesses. If you have ever been to Italy, you also know that many businesses close between 1pm and 3pm everyday. Open hours are often 10am-1pm and 3pm-6 or 7pm.

You gotta wonder if they have it all figured out, and our 60 hour work week is just stupid.

Pocono answer - nope, won't be there this year. Wish we were, but just can't do everything.... and we have a lot on our plate already.

17. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

There are a couple of countries that have such policies. I know France shuts down for about a month in the summer..can't remember if it's July or August though. And yes, the work hours are a lot different.

Hmm....I wonder if that has anything to do with their lower incidence of heart disease, and not just all the wine they consume?

Plus they get time off at other points in the year for holidays.

Then look at our wonderful system......I get guilt tripped if I ask for one day off.

18. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Having lived and worked for some years in both Europe and the US, I can say, with some authority, that your country (being the US) is better than Europe in almost every respect imaginable, with a few notable exceptions. The most notable is the vacation deal you get.

For example - UK, fresh out of college, 1st proper job, I get the standard 27days of vacation. From day 1. Plus all the other national holidays (11 days per year)

I think you know what the average US college grad can expect from his/her employer in the first year.

And remember, over time, all those extra weeks add up. Over a working life it probably equates to a year difference. (complete guess).

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY. Unlike, most of the European/US differences that go in Europes favour (such as history, castles, tradition, techno, topless bathing etc), this is something that could be changed tommorow. JUST EVERYONE ASK FOR 5 WEEKS EVERY YEAR OFF WORK.

See you at the beach.

19. amaner

27 days? Eeyikes. Boeing gives ALL new employees a whopping 10 days of vacation. TEN DAYS!
    :)