1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florida question- ok hear me out

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

Business partner and I are looking into placing a manufacturing company in the state. Preference would be on the coast somewhere. Doesn’t matter which one.
    Any areas better / worse?

Products are somewhat automotive/ aftermarket but also defense and aero.

I know Pensacola would be good to be close by @Robby-Bobby to buy the next duc…

and yes- I’ve read the Florida thread

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

3. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

On the coast, do you need a port close by? Defense/Aero + Space industry on east coast, Melbourne area perhaps? Close proximity to central Florida and all of the defense contractors there as well. And Toyota has long been rumored to be buying up land south of Orlando for something....

sheepofblue and Phl218 like this.
  4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Yep have done some work with folks in Melbourne and we had a fellow that did contract work with family in FL that returned to the Melbourne area.

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Automotive aftermarket? FL has been good to this guy.

clipart2234296.jpg

418, Phl218, ChemGuy and 1 other person like this.
  6. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Garrett and co have been doing very well in FL, I enjoy their content on YouTube, really should drive over to meet them in person...

7. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Yes, for that I would give the Melbourne to Titusville area a hard look. LOTS of ex NASA folks and lots of defense contractors in the area. It's growing like crazy, plus, i'd like to move there if you need an old school Maint. Tech who doesn't mind sweeping floors..:D:crackup::crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Port is not a must

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

As long as you don’t mind shutting down for a hurricane or two and can afford the insurance, why not.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

California is a better choice. Lots of recently vacated facilities you could move into. :D

BigBird likes this.
  11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

People like to pick on Florida, but in reality can you make a state where more people are begging to move to?

yes Pensacola is great for what you’re wanting, as is Jacksonville; and of course further south.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

As much as I'd like to say "we're full!", we do like to provide employment opportunities for our residents. The "space coast" has some positives, depending on what you are looking for. There are an insane variety of skills and education floating around due to the space center (which in spite of being "old fashioned" these days still draws some of the best and brightest) and other aerospace businesses. But... New aerospace companies such as Blue Origin and SpaceX are also mining that resource.

Don't know what level of employees (if any) you are looking for, but we kind of run the gamut here. Physicists to fishermen and members of both skills who have crossed over into the other! Cost of living is low, so someone who doesn't have a 6-figure salary can live quite well in this area (so far).

13. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Melbourne and the Merritt Island area was very nice and clean for the east coast! I was very surprised by that and thats our east side go-to. We are going to poke one more time around the Tampa area because I really want to be in the west side near there.

14. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Space Coast seems like it would be the first place to explore. Checks all the boxes.

15. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Also @roaring toyz is in manufacturing on the west coast. Probably has great advice.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Need anyone to look after nuclear stuff in this new venture? I am ready to leave the oil industry. :D

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I deal with a manufacturer who just opened a large facility in Florida. I'm told they were given enough incentives by the state to cover startup costs.

Phl218 likes this.
  18. Phl218

Phl218 .

We talked this morning and he looked into acquisitions or mergers before as well, let’s see how this all pans out. Startup is probably the best option, then transfer from IL. This is a half- to one year out venture but I honestly appreciate all of y’all’s inputs. Thank you gentlemen