1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flat Track "mile gearing"

Discussion in 'General' started by Cajun Kid, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Going to Savannah to do the mile on my CRF450 DTX bike. Been doing short track stuff. This will be my first time racing at a mile long track.

Anybody know what type of gearing I should run?

Jason D.

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Pooler, Ga?.......thats a half mile, aint it?

3. Cajun Kid

4. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

You going on the 9th? If so, we'll see you there. What number bike, I'll come over and introduce myself. Both my kids will be racing so I'll probably steal one of their bikes and run Mad Dawg. Not sure on gearing, RJ from this forum has a crf 450 dtx bike, I'm sure he'll come along with gearing advice.

5. Cajun Kid

#140 Red and light blue 450.

I think I may have meet you at Jennings before, you ride 1125?

6. PMooney Jr.

Nah, that's my dad. He's got a couple of them. See you at the track!

7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Pat, if we decide to show up, will there be anyone for Caleb to race on his CR80?

8. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Theres probably a Big difference in gearing, thats kinda why I asked.

I'd hate for ya to show up with the wrong gearing....especially if Mooney is going.:D

Have fun fellas!:up:

9. PMooney Jr.

I'll gladly kick his butt.

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Did you recover from the impotence issues caused by the resounding thrashing you absorbed last time the two of you raced?

11. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

CRF450 gearing will be around 14/47 for Savanna. Good starting point. Depends if you are going to shift or fast enough to one gear it. Mile gearing usually 7 teeth less, again depending if you shift or not.
    85 gearing is around 15/45 with 17" wheels for 5th gear...try not to use high gear...works better. JMO

12. PMooney Jr.

13. Cajun Kid

Thank you, I think I've got a 15/43 on there. Check it when I get home tonight.

14. PMooney Jr.

Semdra is hosting this one so I'm not sure if it's their rules or a combo of them and SDTA but he would run youth class on the 80 which has a 125cc two stroke cap. The pewee classes stop at 65cc two stroke with SDTA, be worth looking at the Semdra rulebook for sure. There's always a couple of kids in the youth race, not as big as peewee expert but still should be someone for him to race with.

15. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

2nd gear ST??

16. PMooney Jr.

Just looked at the Semdtra site and they have an 85cc class also so there's another class there too.

17. Cajun Kid

3rd Gear at Mid Carolina.

18. R1RJ

R1RJ Well-Known Member

Just got done running the Volusia half mile on my CRF 450 using a 14/47 and it worked fine. Savannah will be smoother and a little faster. 14/47 should be close to the bump box at the end of the straight which is where you want to be.

19. R1RJ

R1RJ Well-Known Member

When in doubt refer to Tdub! Absolute guru when it comes to going fast on dirt!!

20. R1RJ

R1RJ Well-Known Member

Robby Bobby be damned fast too! Hit him up for answers also.