1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flat Tires?

Discussion in 'General' started by morbidelli17, Feb 16, 2009.

1. morbidelli17

morbidelli17 Well-Known Member

Has anyone here recently purchased race tires that went flat or lost large amounts of air through the sidewall almost immediately after they were mounted - as in within minutes or a couple hours?

2. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Are you talking about take offs you bought from somebody that were blue and cracked?

3. morbidelli17

Brand new, never used, right off the truck, at the track.

4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

What kind of tires and what rims are they on?

5. morbidelli17

Slicks, stock rims. And the tires in question were re-mounted on different rims - that's when the sidewall leaks were discovered. Not through the bead, through the actual sidewall.

6. Suburbanrancher

Did you put a little soapy water on to see if any bubbles were appearing in a specific area? Any cracks?

7. morbidelli17

Through the date stamp. On both tires.

8. Suburbanrancher

That's a first - unless somebody stuck a pin in there or something.

9. morbidelli17

The only reason I'm asking is that I thought it was just extraordinarily bad luck for me to get two bad rear slicks back to back - then this weekend I ran into another racer it happened to.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Haven't heard of it - did you talk to the vendor?

11. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I don't know about on slicks, but many types of tires have bleed holes in the side wall to allow air to escape the layers in the carcass of the tire after it is initially inflated. On aircraft tires this usually stops after 12 hours and the pressure should be stable after the tire has stabilized. It would not go flat though.

12. morbidelli17

I've tried a lot of ways to save money when racing, but never tried aircraft tires ... :D

I did talk to the vendor, who apologized. But my concern, to be honest, is that the other racer who had this experience bought the same model tire I did from the same vendor - three months before I had the same thing happen. He thought he was the only one; I thought I was the only one. Wondering if there's anyone else.

13. caferace

caferace No.

Perhaps if you mentioned the brand and model the mystery would unfold like a lotus blossom? :beer:

-jim

14. morbidelli17

Don't want to slander if it's not warranted, nor draw the haters out of the woodwork.

15. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I'll break the ice for you then...

I had a Dunlop split from freezing.

There thats easy isnt it?

16. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

You wouldn't save any money.:D

17. caferace

caferace No.

But he could race on a treadmill. :crackup:

-jim

18. morbidelli17

:bow:

19. morbidelli17

I thought about the temp thing. But the other guy this happened to - a friend of mine - races in SoCal, and it happened to him in October. Not exactly freezing here then ...

20. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

No, the tires freeze during shipment or storage. Mine was in July in Utah, about 100 degrees. Tire had frozen either in shipment from UK or during storage before I got it.