1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashback - Anyone remember the Michigan Gran Prix?

Discussion in 'General' started by Larry Lawrence, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Larry Lawrence

Larry Lawrence Well-Known Member

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Cool stuff. Lots of Grattan history.

3. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

I remember Marty Miller showing up at the last race of the season with a TZ750 in pieces. They were still bleeding the front brakes and just made the grid but had air in the lines and retired after a lap or two. He had some good races on a modified RG500.

4. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Great pic!

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Still miss Fritz.

6. Larry Lawrence

Larry Lawrence Well-Known Member

Wasn't Marty using a modified street version of the Suzuki RG500? He went really fast on that thing.

7. ductune

Yep. It was the street version with lots of upgrades.
    I used to love watching Miller on the brakes into turn one as his bike was very light and anything he gave up on the straight he made up on the brakes.

8. ductune

I didn't know him that well but used to talk to his dad at the track. I remember one day they showed up just before the race so no practice and rain tires mounted. It dried up, they shrugged their shoulders, didn't change tires and won the race anyway.

9. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

I remember Jim Sublet chewed Phil out for missing rider meetings and practice.Phil liked to sleep in,so they would just show up,unload for the race,and usually either him or Fritz would win.

10. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Holy crap, Sublet was an official back then? How old is that guy? :D

Hopefully I don't sound like an idiot for asking this but is Fritz related to Palmer? I didn't think Kling was that common of a name.

- Joe

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sublet was working races before WERA existed - seriously.