1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flagstaff

Discussion in 'General' started by aftriathlete, May 14, 2020.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Utah is full, you shouldn't move here. Especially with that attitude. Stick with Arizona or Nevada. No income taxes in Nevada.

sdg and aftriathlete like this.
  2. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Someone's gotta change those Depends and bedpans

aftriathlete likes this.
  3. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

You make a good point, and I edited my post. It’s not an attitude, however, as I think Utah looks awesome and I’m as open-minded as they come. It’s something my wife experienced throughout her school years and it obviously made an impact. She says it has little to do with the religion itself and everything to do with your kid feeling like an outsider their entire youth.

Don’t take my comments personally man, I mean no disrespect to anyone. I’m just grateful for the conversation here and the inputs I’m getting.

Wingnut, brex and ducnut like this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

There’s a WHOLE LOT of real estate, west of the range from Park City. I’m going to be spending part of my summer in Millcreek and looking forward to the trips up the valley to Park City.

aftriathlete likes this.
  5. aftriathlete

Just from looking at a map I assumed everything west of the mountains was the greater SLC area suburban sprawl — is there much acreage/undeveloped land to be found in that eastern part of town near the foothills?

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I do have a shitty memory, but that's where the similarities end.

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

No. Not much to the east either as it is the "new hotness" for imports we don't want.
    Arizona tax rates are better, no income taxes in Nevada. If you can find work in Mesquite, go there. Otherwise, stick with Flagstaff.

aftriathlete likes this.
  8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

aftri will be an asset to the community, wherever he lands.

My experience is that UT is more difficult to find less expensive land, by comparison. Houses seem way over priced. Then there's the water issue. There are some good deals in southern Colorado, but screw their red flag asses.

NV has a lot to offer.

aftriathlete and ducnut like this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

It’s all incredibly expensive, along that range. If you explore Google Earth, you’ll see why it’s desirable.

And, further east of Park City is still silly money. You’d have to get up out of the canyon, way out toward Evanston to find reasonable properties. I can’t see living up in that area being desirable, come winter.

You’re going to have to go the other three directions, which isn’t a bad thing. There’s plenty of expressway to efficiently move around. But, both directions on I-15, to the furthest edges of metro, are really nice and offer larger plots of land. To the west, there’s nothing past Tooele, which is still a nice area. I don’t think you could go too wrong, with any of these outer, developing communities. But, I’d definitely try and let your employment opportunity dictate the area to be in, as to minimize commute. It’s a lot of miles, from one edge of town to the others. If you’re into off the road activities, regardless of mode of travel, there are an abundance of opportunities, year-round. I’ve considered living there, myself.

aftriathlete likes this.
  10. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Have you ever looked at the Payson, AZ area? Pine forest country, tons of off roading, hiking, biking, only an hour or so from the Phoenix area so you'll have access to high end medical centers, intl airport etc.

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We drove down from Winslow to Phoenix through Payson and you aren't kidding, it is beautiful along that route. Almost seemed like a different state and it was some of the freshest air I've ever inhaled.

12. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

No, Payson's awful. People are hateful, water tastes bad, too many trees, everyone has the Chinese flu, the elk will steal your car. You get the idea.

ungwaha, 23103a, aftriathlete and 4 others like this.
  13. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

There are some nice area's in Nevada, and it's very cheap, it does get hot in the summer though.

aftriathlete likes this.
  14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

The road from payson to phoenix and back is one hell of a ride if taken at speed.
    Payson, sedona, flagstaff, they are seem so small compared to phoenix I wonder what the hell anyone does for a living up in those areas, and who they hang out with. Phoenix offers almost everything besides tree's and elevation changes and those are within a hour's drive.

aftriathlete likes this.
  15. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

miiiiiight be out of your wheelhouse but Pahrump, NV is booming. I purchased a home with my brother and rent it out to a couple guys that are electricians. Easy money there and Spring Mountain Raceway is literally a mile away.

aftriathlete likes this.
  16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I think there may be enough "imports" into Utah/SLC not being LDS isnt as bad as it was 20+ years ago, especially for kids. Lots of crap to do on the net now vs back in the day.

Seems like the booze laws have been loosened since you needed to join a club to get a drink, etc.

So maybe dont count Utah out yet. AZ - Payson/Flagstaff would be my choice...lived in Tucson for a while...eff that heat.

And Eff Nevada except Reno/Tahoe area...everything else is desert fit for nuclear waste storage.

Good luck on the "new life" search.

aftriathlete and Wingnut like this.
  17. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

A friend just bought a wee house I'm Payson. He'll be moving out there next year. He absolutely loves it there.

aftriathlete and Wingnut like this.
  18. ton

ton Arf!

nope. utah is full. and still awful. i'm with brex.

sdg, aftriathlete and brex like this.
  19. aftriathlete

What’s your assessment of the problem with “imports” moving in? Driving up property values and property taxes? Something else/more?

20. aftriathlete

Payson seems like a good spot on a map too. I know a guy from there and he raves about it. I estimate the small-town challenges are probably similar in type and scope to Flag and Prescott though, if not greater in Payson. But Payson definitely has the nice benefit of being really close to major airport and major hospitals in Phoenix area.