1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Race Weekend Meeting Spot

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by some guy #2, Mar 9, 2011.

1. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

For new racers, would it be possible to set up a specific area or have a person be available at the front gate to assist people with getting set up?

I remember my first weekend and I ran around trying to figure out what I needed to do and where I needed to go which involved a lot of stress and uncertainty.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Most places registration is easy to find, just look for the building. What track are you going to?

3. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

:stupid: or ask another racer

4. some guy #2

This was last year at Grattan. What I did was follow everyone else up and stand around the registration desk for a while while no one helped me or explained what I needed to do. I waited in line and then asked my questions while everyone was behind me.

I think signs leading up to the registration desk and then a specific spot for new racers (race school) would help. I think some sort of WERA liaison at the front gate would be even better. Maybe some racer could volunteer to get there early and help new people out.

5. some guy #2

It wasn't until after I got somewhat settled that I felt like asking people for help and suggestions on how to fill out the forms.

Everyone was helpful after being handed the proper paperwork but it was unsettling to get to that point.

6. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

My first weekend....I asked the guy pitted next to me about a hundred questions before unloading anything. lol He and his wife told me all I needed to know.

7. some guy #2

Some people are more comfortable doing that. I still think either an official greeter or clear signage would be extremely beneficial, even to non-first weekend racers.

8. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

AFM has a "mentor" program which works well. New racers who WANT to can be "paired" up with a experienced racer so all those questions get answered. Also builds great friendships :)

9. kanatuna

Signs would be difficult. These tracks are rented... If they were even allowed, the signs would have to be posted then taken down the same weekend. Maybe only a couple of signs but its still hoops to jump through. Perhaps the people running the entrance could ask if anyone in the vehicle was there for the race school....then if so, they could inform them of the registration tower or radio to someone to follow up with them.

Man...thats a great idea. I would be more than willing to help out with this. I'm sure many others would too.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Someone standing at the gate for what could be a dozen riders or could be one rider doesn't make sense. The gate people do know where registration is already so that's something you can ask them easily.

As for having someone around the line to answer questions, I actually do that a lot but it's just not always feasible if we're short staffed. Nothing wrong with asking questions with people behind you in line, if they were in that big a hurry they could pre enter :D

Signs are a good idea and we've tried but with most of our officials not doing this full time they're pretty busy when they get to the track. They're doing the same as the racers driving in after work on Friday and setting things up first thing in the morning - and they have less time since they're open 1.5 hours or so before practice. It's a lot easier to just go race, you've got all sorts of down time that we just don't get. I'm hoping this section will alleviate some of the questions people have before they get there.

For example, at Grattan - pay at the gate to get in. Pit in the lower area since it doesn't cost anything. There is a camping fee if you're staying overnight. Registration is in the back of the tech garage which is in the rear of the upper paddock (small building by itself, not the house or the main garages). These go for all events - You need to go to registration first and get your paperwork, don't bother to print out an entry form to bring with as we need the three part at the track. Printing and brining a membership app is a good idea as is printing and bringing a tech form so you have one less thing to fill out at the track. Once you're done with registration you'll need to run your bike through tech real quick. Then you'll meet the instructor once they announce for you over the PA, at Grattan this will be in the second floor of the tower usually, the door is at the end of the building where you crossed the track coming in and right next to pit lane. After that your instructor will tell you what you need to know.

The procedures are the same for all tracks. The only difference is where the registration/tech/classroom stuff is.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We do that too as you can see from some threads here. Just never really made it an official thing since so many racers are willing to help out on their own.

12. some guy #2

I mean temporary signs (concrete blocks, rebarb, and a wood board). Not billboards or permanent plaques that are posted on the buildings. Not running the show I don't know but that doesn't seem like a lot of work to set up to me. Making the signs or making the signs nice yes, but not physically putting them up.

What it comes down to, in my mind, is I shouldn't have to ask everyone around me where to go to get started. It should be clearly labeled or made apparent where I need to at least walk towards :)t. Specific questions, yes I don't mind going to the guy next door but i think some of that can be answered before hand new racers can spend time worrying about the more important things (everything else! :) ).

13. kanatuna

The first couple of weekends are intimidating....I can attest to that. It really is up to the racer to ask if he doesn't know...part of the preparation. Add it to the packing list...a questions to be answered list. lol

14. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I mean, this is racing, not little league baseball, someone isn't going to hold your hand the whole time. If you need something ask, there are a hundred people there that are willing to help you out.

15. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I like helping the new guys out. It gives me something to do because if I'm not riding I'm sitting in a lawn chair staring off into space. I'll be more than happy to help someone out if they need it. I'm Novice #116, if you are racing in the south and need help come find me.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've been doing this for 24 years and I still have to ask where the office is at a new track, then ask them where registration/scoring/tech/bathrooms are.

17. primo

primo Well-Known Member

24 years? :wow: You get pay good for this right? :D

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. I'd venture to say I make less than the vast majority of our riders. I'm just not real smart :)

First 4-5 years I did only corner work and officiate. Part time in 91, full time in 94 or so.

19. primo

primo Well-Known Member

Are you gonna be at Summit April 2nd and 3rd? I wanna give you a free case of beer for your hard work bro. I'm a beer man so take your pick. :up:

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, however if you bring a case I'm sure you will find plenty of people willing to partake on my part :D