1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Race at Willow Springs- Novice Rider Introducing Myself

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Conner Brown, May 25, 2018.

1. Conner Brown

Conner Brown New Member

Hi Everyone,

My name is Conner Brown and this will be my first post here. I will be attending my first race at Willow Springs this June 9th and 10th.

A little bit about me: For most of my life I have dreamed of racing and during the beginning of this year I decided its time to jump into it and to give it everything I've got. I bought a completely stock 2008 R6 and have been slowly building it as I go.

My first track day was in February and since I've done about 12 track days at tracks such as Buttonwillow, Streets of Willow, Auto Club Speedway, and Thunder Hill West and East. It has been an incredible journey that's given me some of the best experiences of my life as well as many new friends.

Last month on April 7th I obtained my racing license with fast track riders at Auto Club Speedway, and have been looking forward to my first race since.

For most of my track days, I have been riding at an A group pace, however I have never ridden at Willow Springs (Big Willow), so I am nervous, especially since I cannot attend the pre-WERA trackday the Friday (June 8th) before.

Does anyone have any advice/tips for a new racer about to do his first race at a track he's never been to before?

Am I crazy to do my first race at Big Willow even though I've never done the track before?

wsmc42 and code3ryder like this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Good luck.
    Big Willow is fun...fast and fun
    Get some tips from people there on similar bikes.
    Some general tips. T2 single or double apex if you want. Just remember the second half is uphill, so you can add some throttle.
    Stay tight out of 3 so you aren't out of position for T4
    Try not to be a hero into T5 cause if you jack your drive up there your screwed for the fast half of the track. Don't run to wide on exit and get it pointed back to the right. T6 is blind over the hill. It's weird at first but trust your going the right way and just nail the throttle.
    T8 pick a gear and rpm for 8 and just drive.
    You don't need to be super wide on the entrance but hit the Apex and then drift wide for T9.
    Best advice ever for T9 stay wide going in...you may even have to downshift/brake while leaned slightly. Keep staying wide wide wide when you see the apex (do they still put a sideways cone there?) turn in and aim for that. Don't worry about the dip there. Drive and drift wide down front straight and do it again.

Have fun

3. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Hey ChemGuy, that was good, usable intel you provided. I'm trying to get to where Conner was back then in May/August. Used to race BMX and I know what a disadvantage it is to just show up on race day and only get, maybe, one or two practice runs in.

Conner, how did your race (race experience) go at Willow back then?

4. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

That is extremely accurate! Don’t lose your focus either or you’ll be off the line and going for a dirt ride at those speeds.

5. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

You are gonna have a blast. Willow is a special place. Getting around there fast is all about momentum. People like to say it is a horsepower track, but it is really about momentum. That means learning to let off the brake lever and let the bike roll into corners and cracking the throttle open early. After work when I have more time, I will post up some tips for you including gearing.